When I got home with the expectation to relax in our perfect little condo which we lived in for only 1 year, I saw exactly what she was talking about. The entire center section of our beloved building was completely engulfed in flames and the fire was spreading fast. Firemen from Norwalk, Stamford, Darien and Rowayton were all called to the scene but the flames and smoke could not be contained quickly enough. Every minute, 2,500 gallons of water was sprayed on my home for 5 hours straight. I stood there in the freezing cold watching the flames eat through the units and demolish everything that I ever owned.
When all was said and done, every resident became displaced. The building is completely uninhabitable, totally destroyed, and every unit, even those not impacted by direct flames, had at least 3-6 inches of water inside with significant smoke damage. It will take 12-18 months before the building is restored and residents can move back in. In the meantime we are still expected to pay our mortgage and monthly condo fees. This all could’ve been prevented had 1 owner been responsible about disposing his smoking materials.
While I was fortunate enough to not be inside during this tragedy, all of our furniture and most of our most valued belongings are destroyed beyond repair. Many would think insurance could cover this major loss but it won’t cover even half of what’s been lost, let alone the emotional anguish this nightmare has caused us. Please help us try to rebuild what’s been lost and help others who were also impacted by this disaster.
DonationsSee top donations
- Sherene Barnett
- Andrea Reed
- Eric Henriquez
- Lloyd Alcera
- Pamela Occhicone
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more