Our indoor cat got out last Thursday and she was injured, here is a run down of where we are:
Today has been a LONG day. Here’s everything I know and where we are with Coffee Cat:
Coffee has a broken and dislocated iliac (hip) and it is pushed forward into her pelvic canal. It’s causing a blockage of 33% right now and 45% is the max she could withstand. This will cause her problems with bowel movements and walking in the future if not treated.
The break will not heal on its own. It will only grow fibrous cartridge that will continue to increase the blockage in her pelvic canal. If we do not operate the fibrous cartridge will likely leave her with a limp, chronic pain and the blockage.
Surgery requires a plate to be put on the broken part of her hip and a screw in the dislocated part. They have already discounted the cost by $1,000 for us. The cost is so much because she requires an ortho team to fix it. She is also tiny, so she requires the smallest plate they have, leaving them unable to use a cheaper version.
Lastly, please believe that I have called MULTIPLE veterinary offices today. I am currently waiting for her regular veterinarian (Fur Buds) to call me back after viewing her x-rays, for a second opinion. I have been told multiple times that she must be seen by an orthopedic veterinarian. At this time I’m not interested in transporting her anywhere else for a second opinion. She is in too much pain and they could very well end up costing more. I am also waiting on a call back from Tuskegee University’s School of Veterinary medicine.
We will make a final decision in the morning as to what we want to do. I just ask for your prayers because this is an incredibly difficult decision to make for us.
- Kari M
- Sarah Gibson
- Carolyn Linder
- Magen Grimes