Last week I learned that my college buddy and true-blue pal Julie is on the verge of homelessness. She currently lives in Austin, TX, and, if she is still in Austin after July 31, will be moving into a shelter.
Julie also has a cat, a beautiful girl who she adores. The shelter does not allow pets. Julie's beloved cat also faces relocation to a different kind of shelter, where the outcome is not at all happy.
Thankfully, one of Julie's friends in northern CA has offered her a place to stay. Another friend, who also lives in CA and has been visiting family in Austin this past week, offered to bring Julie's cat home with her, and to foster the cat until she and Julie can be reunited.
This morning, hours before our friend was due to fly home, we learned that the airline does not allow pets to fly as checked baggage during the summer months. As a result, Julie's cat will not be coming to her new foster home tonight.
Normally when a loved one is in a situation like this, I am there with a check, a money order, a wire, anything to help them out. But as those of you who have been following my silly Facebook posts know, my own money situation is pretty terrible right now, and it kills me to be unable to help a good, hardworking soul who has had a bad run of luck. You likely also know how much my husband and I love our own cat, Selma, and how we would move heaven and earth to keep her safe.
I am looking to raise enough money to cover:
1. The purchase of a cat carrier (pricing runs between $30 and $80, with $40 or $50 being the average price).
2. Fare for shipping the cat via Delta Cargo (approximately $300).
3. Plane fare for Julie from Austin to San Francisco (variable, but we have found tickets for $250 for Sunday or Monday travel).
4. Ground transportation for Julie to the airport in Austin, and from SFO to her friend's home in Contra Costa County (haven't priced yet).
5. Enough left over for Julie to open a bank account and have a little living money while she looks for new work.
Julie and her cat will both be homeless on July 31. Her first priority is to get the cat resettled safely. I would dearly love to make this happen for both of them. Any help you can provide them will also be helping me, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for it.
DonationsSee top donations
- B Carlson
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more