Buckeyes diagnostic & treatment

My name is Jacqueline.  I am desperately trying to find out what is wrong with my 3 mth old golden retriever "puppy".
I am an animal lover, but when my son left home at 18, his golden retriever stayed.  And then began my love for this breed.  You just can't have one.  Jump ahead a few years, I started rescuing "senior" goldens.  Four so far,
plus 3 I had since puppys.  I give them all the love and kisses and the opportunity to live out their lives spoiled rotten.  I don't know "their" stories, but they have added so much love and joy to mine.

The Beginning
I was on a Road trip with my mom (87) and my grandson (10). Mom's bucket list was going back to WI one last time.  Then we headed to Ohio where I saw a sign, "Golden Retriever Puppies for sale".  I called the number and that's when this little guy was put in my life.  My grandson named him "Buckeye".  He immediately crawled into our hearts and backseat.  We cut the trip short to get home with our happy active puppy.  That was July 7.

Two weeks later, he woke up walking funny.  I took him to my vet that morning, where upon exam, he didn't feel anything and told me to wait for symtoms,  loss of appetite, diareah, etc.
I decided to take him back that afternoon for a belly xray and a baseline lab test.   Just in case he ate something foreign.  Everything came back normal except his white blood count.  Normal is 17,000.  His was 77,000.  At that point the vet put him on Clavamox and a recheck appointment that Friday.  Instead, I took him in Thursday where now upon exam Buckeye cried when his head was tilted back. The vet advised me to take him to a Specialist as an emergency patient on Friday. He was leaning toward meningitis.
I took him to AVS in Maitland, FL. They explained how much a diagnostic would be. We asked my grandson what we should do? He said "we have to try". (I would of anyway) I normally would not of taken my grandson, but he wanted to go and be with him in case it was the end.

So Buckeye was there 6 days. He underwent a spinal tap, MRI, multiple Xrays and lab work. His white count did jump up to 154,000, and then dropped to 120,000 which is very high.
All results were coming back normal. We waited til the 6th day when the blood cultures were due back. They were normal as well.
Ruled out was menegitis, Lyme disease, digesting a tick and so much more.
I then spoke with my vet and told him I was going to get him against their advice. At that point Buckeye was not walking. He thought it was a good idea. Buckeye came home with 3 broad spectrum antibiotics and Tramadol.
Cost: $6,485.02
Plus $600.00 at my vet
My vet started him on prednisone.
After about the 2nd dose of prednisone, Buckeye got up! Extremely wobbly. Still not right.
But, I still don't have any answers.
I am heartbroken and devastated.

After my pleading posts on Facebook. I received countless prayers and suggestions. A friend who also rescues, suggested doing a Go Fund Me. Something I never thought I would do.
Today I decided to get a 2nd opinion.
I have made an appointment at the Small Animal Hospital in Gainesville, FL.

Any funds received will go directly to helping my precious Buckeye.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my journey. I will be deeply grateful and appreciative if you would consider sharing or donating to finding out what could be wrong.

Thank you from my heart...
~Jacqueline

Donations

  • Joyce Brown 
    • $75 
    • 23 mos
  • Cindy Bergey 
    • $25 
    • 23 mos
  • bryan kulka 
    • $500 
    • 23 mos
  • May Hughes 
    • $50 
    • 23 mos
  • Cheryl Watson 
    • $25 
    • 23 mos
See all

Organizer

Jacqueline Ann Chalifoux 
Organizer
Lady Lake, FL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more