As some of you may know, Bryce has started treatment for the 2nd time since his initial diagnosis in March of 2018. In December, it was discovered that the lymphoma was back in a few new spots. More invasive biopsies were done and confirmed what we had hoped NOT to be true. Bryce started chemo again in January 2019. So far he is tolerating treatment well. Soon, the doctors will be extracting stem cells from Bryce in order to do a stem cell transplant in April. During that time, Bryce will be admitted at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh the entire 4-6 week process. Please continue to pray for Bryce and his family.
March 27th, 2018 Bryce was taken to his doctor to investigate a strange lump that had formed on his neck. A few weeks earlier, he had an unexplained rash on his chest and back that didn't seem to respond well to treatment. Both of these instances were somewhat alarming and Bryce was then sent to Brookville Hospital for X-rays and a CT scan. Within the hour, the doctor's office was calling and said they needed to head to Pittsburgh to Children's Hospital right away. At that point, Bryce was admitted and taken for more testing. A biopsy was performed on the lump in his neck and another CT scan done. The morning after he was admitted, the oncology team did confirm that he did have a form of lymphoma, they just weren't sure of the type at that point, and needed to wait for the biopsy results. In the meantime, more tests followed. They took bone marrow samples from his pelvis, PET scan, EKG, echocardiogram, drained fluid from his lung and inserted a PICC line. The PET scan showed spots on both sides of his neck, a large area in his chest cavity (that was ultimately putting pressure on his lungs), and also the splene. The days that followed were emotionally exhausting, not knowing the extent and the outcome of the testing. Bryce was temporarily discharged home on Friday afternoon (March 30th) while we waited for pathology to come back from the biopsy and bone marrow. We were all able to spend the Easter weekend together.
Today (Wednesday April 4th) was the treatment meeting with the oncologists. Pathology results were back and Bryce has now officially been diagnosed with Stage 3 Hodgkins Lymphoma. Luckily, there were no traces in his bone marrow. He was admitted back to Children's Hospital and will start chemotherapy this evening. He will have at least 4 rounds, 21 days apart. After chemo is completed, there may be a chance that he will also need radiation, which may take an additional 3 weeks. The oncology team is fairly optimistic in regards to treatment and feel that it will be successful. He does have a long road ahead of him, years even.
Bryce is staying pretty positive and is ready to fight. He's been a trooper so far!
Shawn and Trisha have been, and will be with him every step of the way. With that being said, they have already been missing work and will continue to be missing work between and during treatments. The cost of transportation for the 2 hour commute each way for treatments will add up quickly.
Not everyone can give, and we all understand that. If you are able, any amount is greatly appreciated. If you can't help financially, please share and keep Bryce and his family in your prayers as he begins the fight of his life!
DonationsSee top donations
- Jenny Sorek
- Bill & Lori McAninch
- Laura Pearson
- Chris Doucette
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more