Pray for Dayton James Nunez "Nunnie"

This past month has been a complete whirlwind for our family. My nephew, whom I love like a son took the ride of his life and lived to tell about it. He was the passenger in a horrific wreck that took the life of the young man driving the vehicle. At 2:41 am on July 6, 2014 I received a frantatic call from my mom saying the hospital called and that Dayton was in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit and we needed to get there ASAP. They could tell us nothing else, but we knew it had to be bad. Much of that night is a blur to me, but I remember frantcially waiting in a private waiting area, just waiting for someone to tell us what was going on. I remember walking into the ICU hours later. We weren't prepared to see him in the condition he was in. I had no idea he was on life support, we had no idea what to expect or even what his injuries were.

From July 6th- July 15th my nephew was on life support, he decided on that day (the day Dr's discussed traching him) that he no longer needed life support and ex-tabated himself. With much fear and anticipation he began breathing on his own and continued to do so through the night and days thereafter. On July 18th he was moved from ICU to a progressive room, still mostly unconscious struggling to wake from his coma. On July 26th he managed to pull the feeding tube out from his nose during a swallow test. My sister and I stayed up for days on end watching him every second trying to avoid this. The tube had to be reinserted until the test could be continued. His neuro surgeon said he would likely need a PEG feeder any day and we feared he would need surgery. On July 28th he passed the swallow test and the tube was taken out- Praise God. He still has to strengthen his throat muscles and is on a thickened diet for now. Amazingly, while waiting for his swallow test he groaned the words "I want to walk". This was the first words we were even close to understanding since the accident. On July 29th he continued trying to speak though it was almost impossible to understand him. At this time he could not sit up nor hold his head up, but physical therapy began anyway. What a difficult thing to watch, such a strong young man who prior to the wreck was powerlifting 250lbs could not hold his head up, but God continued to give him strength.

Dayton continued to amaze the nurses and physical therapists everyday that they came in. They quickly fell in love with this kid. Through the days he began to remember the details of the wreck and horror of that night though the doctors said he never would. He remembers asking the driver to slow down twice and even advised him to put on his seatbelt. We, along with the hospital staff were simply amazed at the details he remembered. Dayton says he had an experience with Jesus from the time he lost consciousness at the scene until the minute the ambulance arrived. I don't doubt for one second that he did. He said Jesus told him that life would be harder, but that he gave him this battle because he knew he could handle it and that everything was going to be okay. He said Jesus stood before him, placed his right hand over him and said "Everything is going to be okay" he then disappeared and the ambulance appeared. Dayton was never conscious from the time the ambulance arrived, yet he remembers being cut out of the car, being placed in an ambulance and remembers the doctors standing over him saying they didn't think he was going to make it. He remembers things that I wish he didn't, but his memory is a positive sign for his recovery.

On August 5th Dayton was transferred to Touro Rehabilitation Center in New Orleans for inpatient rehab. We expect him to be there approximately 4-6 weeks and at that time he will return home to endure outpatient rehab and we will work toward getting him back to school. He is missing school and his friends dearly.

It goes without saying that the morning of July 6th was the most terrifying yet gratifying day of Dayton's young life. He undoubtedly has a long road ahead of him. He will have to learn to walk again and regain use of his right side, we pray that this all returns. He will also need speech and occupational therapy for an extended time, but I know that God will be with him through every step of it and so will we. The days have been long and hard for this kid, but he is pushing through it.

Dayton was told that he still had much purpose here on Earth and was to work hard at finding out what that purpose was. I don't doubt that he will do exactly that. My sister was never suppose to be able to have kids, yet God blessed her and us with Dayton twice now. He is truly a living breathing miracle and I am beyond blessed to call him my nephew.

Please continue to pray for Dayton and our family as we move along through this journey we have been blessed enough to have.

All donations will be used for medical bills and expenses we incur along the way.

Thank you and God Bless
  • Anonymous 
    • $250 
    • 82 mos
  • Deney Parker 
    • $50 
    • 83 mos
  • Erin Volentine 
    • $50 
    • 83 mos
  • Laurie Clark 
    • $100 
    • 83 mos
  • Nancy Nichols-Wilson 
    • $40 
    • 83 mos
See all


Amber Herring 
Central, LA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more