Hello dear ones,
Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I understand that these last 9 months have been some of the most challenging, life shifting times for us humans. We are forced to reckon with a rapidly changing humanity and Planet. My heart goes out to those who have been impacted negatively. I myself never expected that I would need to ask for economic help, but I am open to being vulnerable in this time, realizing that it is necessary right now.
As many of you know, I left Canada nearly two years ago for Costa Rica - following my heart and dreams, seeking a way of life closer to nature, with intentions of putting myself in service of children, Earth and the animals. Admittedly, I’ve come up against some of the greatest difficulties of my life, but have also manifested some of the most profound experiences as well. I have undergone some major personal transformations, and have consistently put myself in Environmental Causes (Eco-Education, Wildlife Conservation, Reforestation, Permaculture Projects, beach cleanups, intentional community farm living, etc.).
When Covid hit, I had to make a quick decision to find stability since I lost my teaching position (all schools were forced to close), and my flight back home to Canada was cancelled (which has not been reimbursed), and all borders / airspace completely shut down for months. With that being said, I am intending to be able raise money to get back on my feet and continue on with my mission (for transparency: basic living expenses such as food and accommodations).
I understand that going to Costa Rica was a choice and a privilege, one for which I am endlessly grateful. Thank you to all those who have supported me emotionally or spiritually as I took these leaps. I want to give a brief overview of where I have dedicated my time and energy in Costa Rica, as I’ve been on a quite a quest!
1. I started my journey by getting on board a clean water for kids project, in Drake Bay. I helped to put on a three-day Festival “Agua Por Vivir” (Water for Life) in the small town, helping to raise funds for a rainwater catchsystem. Alongside the aid of a non-profit organization, we met our target and now the local school has clean drinking water.
2. Shortly after this I got involved in an International Project Based Learning School, where the highlight was getting invited to a BBC documentary production. Myself and the children planted over 100 trees in effort to educate about the importance of reforestation.
3. I then found a Holistic School where I was placed as an Eco Literacy Mentor. At this magical school I was able to connect with an incredible community of conscious teachers and families, embracing a Mindfulness centred approach to education which was absolutely beautiful. Myself and a group of bright Early Years children created a book, based off the Ocean Life camp that took place over 1 month. Their writing and drawings were put together and we published the book for exhibition. As part of this campaign, I have decided to make the book, in digital format, available for anyone to DOWNLOAD FOR FREE --> ABSea Childrens Book
4. In January I had just begun to offer independent Heart-Based Holistic Education & Therapeutic Services for Children, with the platform I created Vitamin Being. Where the philosophy is to "Guiding children to joyfully learn through their development (cognitively, physically, socially, emotionally, spiritually). Cultivating healthy mind-body connections and realizing dreams." See --> VITAMIN BEING
5. Since March I have been on the Osa Peninsula, the most remote area of the country, back where I first landed. I contributed around 8 months of time and energy to a Sea Turtle Conservation project that is deep in the Corcovado jungle. I helped turn an old abandoned house into a functioning base camp, and have been actively involved in the project (protection of and liberation of baby turtles, and activities in sustaining the regions' biodiversity). See --> RASCAREY
Although these opportunities have been nothing short of life changing, the monetary compensation throughout this time has been either non-existent or considerably low. Any amount that you are able to give right now is so incredibly appreciated. Thank you kindly. Love & blessings from Costa Rica.
- Katherine Addington
- Annaliza & Trevor
- Tracy Chait
- Rachel Seburn
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more