My name is Kalee and I have the incredible opportunity to go to India with a non-profit organization called Artists Striving To End Poverty (ASTEP). I have been assigned to the Shanti Bhavan Children’s Project, a school and home for economically and socially disadvantaged children outside Bangalore. While at Shanti Bhavan, I will be working with a team of Volunteer Artists, providing classes in music, theatre, dance, and visual art for students ranging from sixth grade to high school.
This type of service work is very important to me for a number of reasons:
1. The ASTEP program! This organization “connects performing and visual artists with underserved youth in the U.S. and around the world to awaken their imaginations, foster critical thinking, and help them break the cycle of poverty.” Pretty amazing, right? Click here to read more about this program.
2. The arts matter! There are so many benefits to offering art classes for our youth. The arts teach kids to express themselves, embrace diversity, envision solutions, start a dialogue, respect others, make connections, and persevere (just to name a few).
3. It’s a learning experience! Not only will I be providing a service for the students, I will be learning and creating alongside them. My main goal is to learn as much as I am able to give.
In order to fund my trip, I need your support. My goal is to reach $2,000 by April 1st, 2015. This money will be used towards my:
- Plane ticket
- Ground transportation to/from the airport
- Travel insurance
- Visa for traveling
- Art supplies for the program
If you have any questions about this program and my involvement with it, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Share this link with your coworkers, friends, and family! Donate five dollars! Shoot me an e-mail of encouragement! Donate twenty dollars! Send me new art ideas for my classes! Every little bit helps! Also, as I continue to save and fundraise for this journey, I will be posting updates on my preparations, my research, and anything else related to this service program. Needless to say, this is something I am very passionate about and I can’t do it without your support. Thank you so much!
DonationsSee top donations
- lauren mcnamara
- Silvana Vivas
- Kayla Hanish
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more