Our beautiful 6 year old labradoodle, Opie was sleeping on Friday night when he and his Staffy sister were approached by a Eastern Brown Snake. Opie was unfortunately bitten, while the snake went on its way.
When we found Opie he was barely breathing & was completely paralised. We rushed him to our local Vet who ran all the tests and confirmed, snake bite. Opie was put on oxygen and given antivenom. We had to rush him to the Animal Hospital in the Animal Ambulance (so he could have constant oxygen) to be treated for a second round of antivenom and further testing. The Vets confirmed Opie was bleeding internally, while the toxins had attached to his muscles and we needed to put him on life support for the next 24 hours to see how he goes. Opie is currently asleep and on life support receiving the very best care. The internal bleeding has stopped and his blood is back to normal. Now we just need to wait for his muscles to work so he is able to breathe by himself. The machine has gone from 100% breathing for him to 40%. There is plenty of hope that he can recover from this.
We are very lucky that we have pet insurance but unfortunately it only covers up to a certain amount & 24 hours of life support is $4000 alone which we have to pay for a huge chunk out of pocket.
We all miss our buddy terribly & hope he can return home with us soon. Time is needed and we don't want money to be our reason we can't give him the time he needs to recover from this. We love him and he deserves to pull through. Thank you for reading x