Hi! For those who don't know, this is Bane
. She is a 5 year old german shepherd/lab mix. Craig and I adopted her when she was 6 weeks old from a Human Society in ND. Bane and her siblings were born in the shelter. Bane and I were best pals when Craig was stationed in ND. Bane is so caring and loving. She would stay up with me during the long nights of nursing school and keep me company when Craig was at work, hunting, or traveling. Bane is a friendly dog who gets along with every person and animal. She was very playful as well. Those who know her, know that she has a special talent. She can catch a ball like a MLB player. She has great strength and acrobatics when retrieving, she's a great swimmer as well. Her ball was her FAVORITE toy and it would go with her pretty much everywhere. She would play for HOURS. Unfortunately, the Vet thinks that's how she hurt her leg. Bane has torn her Cruciate ligament and currently has no stability in her left back leg. For the past month we have been resting, icing, and using anti-inflammatory medication to help grow scar tissue. Unfortunately, the ligament ended up tearing. Due to Banes size (55lbs), young age, and activity level, Bane needs TPLO
(Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) surgery. This is an invasive surgery that requires plates and screws to help stabilize the knee. It would require 4 month recovery period with medication and physical therapy. After the knee heals, Bane would be able to walk, run, swim, and play. Pike would love to have her playful sister back. Currently Bane has to be carried up and down the stairs, on and off the bed/couch, and in/out of the cars. It's been a really difficult summer with both the dogs health issues and we just don't have the finances to cover this type of medical bill without putting our own finances at risk. Craig and I are not the type to ask for charity, especially for a dog. But for those who know me, and who know Bane, know how important this dog is to me. The surgery will cost roughly $3,000. However she will need medications and a few sets of follow-up X-rays that require anesthesia due to knee manipulation. In the end we are estimating $4000. I was going to wait until my birthday to ask for donations instead of gifts but there is already significant atrophy in her affected leg and I fear that waiting will only make it worse. I will make a follow-up post with her newest x-rays and medical information.