Around 1:30 or so, one of Amber and Masen's amazing nurses came to check on him. She explained that he was slightly blue in the face and there was concern that he may have aspirated meconium during his birth. She said that she was being precautious and wanted to check his oxygen saturation levels, though she suspected that it was some light bruising from his dramatic entrance into the world. Almost a half an hour later, the nurse returned to say that baby Masen was in another room getting oxygen as his levels were low and that they were going to continue to monitor him. She explained that he was breathing very rapid, short breaths which they called tachypneic breathing but they expected his body would catch up to him. Again, likely the result of his fast birth. In the meantime, they would keep giving him oxygen. This was something no new mother wants to hear. Mommy hid her worry behind her strong exterior. Daddy went to be with Masen while Mommy waited and recovered in her bed.
It didn't take long before Mommy's concern started to show through. Cut to a couple of hours later and wheeling Mommy over to her new baby, Dr. Groh entered the room and ordered a chest x-ray and blood work. She said she never wants to see a baby needing oxygen and that it warranted further examination. Dr. Groh then explained to Mom and Dad that Masen would likely be sent to Sudbury where they have the resources to keep him monitored. The chest x-ray revealed that he had, in fact, inhaled meconium and he had a small pneumonia as a result. Although he didn't have a fever, he was showing signs of infection and would need to get to another hospital that was better equipped for this. They were going to give him fluids via IV and give him his first dose of antibiotics. Then we heard the nurses calling for ORNGE and panic visibly set in for all of us.
One of Amber's nurses, explained that baby Masen would be flying to London instead of going to Sudbury. She was so sincere and explained everything to Amber who was struggling to process this information. They didn't have the equipment here nor were they prepared for any worst-case scenario and they wanted to make sure he was somewhere that would be. Everyone was incredible in keeping us all informed and answering any questions we had. After trying to arrange for a flight, we learned that London was calling for severe thunderstorms and was on tornado watch. The plans changed again, Masen was going to Sick Kids in Toronto instead. Mommy and Daddy would say goodbye to Masen at the hospital at 9:00 that night after a long, stressful day of uncertainty. Masen would be sedated for the flight. Mommy and Daddy would then drive to Toronto to meet their baby at the hospital. Here they would learn here that he definitely has fluid in his lungs, and he would be given morphine, a breathing tube, fluids through an IV and more antibiotics. All they can do now is wait for the fluid to be absorbed and fight off any impending infection.
As anyone knows, Toronto is an expensive place to stay, especially downtown where the hospital is located. They've had to leave their other two kids behind with Joey's father. No new Mommies and Daddies going through something as traumatic as this should have to worry about the extra financial stress. We are hoping that with your help, we can help alleviate this burden. We don't know how long they will be in Toronto. Time will tell but everyone agrees Masen is a strong boy! Please donate if you can, and if you can't, please keep baby Masen and the whole Viel clan in your thoughts and prayers. Please take a moment to share this post to get as much help as possible. It is more appreciated than you know.