Baby Carson's Medical Expenses

Chris and Katie welcomed their beautiful second son, Carson, on March 22, 2018. Not long after, things turned for the worse for little Carson as he was soon admitted to the NICU with symptoms of fast breathing and severe dehydration along with an enlarged liver. This would only be the beginning of a challenging journey for their whole family as they discovered little Carson has aortic stenosis, a condition where the heart didn't develop properly. Faced with many difficult surgeries and procedures, I am starting a campaign to aid in the growing expenses which continue to rise.

Any donation will help tremendously. The mother had already broken her arm in an accident just prior to little Carson's arrival and now they are faced with ongoing emergency surgeries to keep their little Carson alive.  Times are looking difficult for this young family, but they are remaining optimistic as Carson keeps pushing through. After notifying them of my plans to request donations, they mentioned any funds received above what is needed will be donated back to children with similar conditions and to Children's Mercy.  Please take time to consider making a difference in the lives of the Campbell family today.

Here are some updates from the family:

4/4/18 - Little Carson's surgery went very well yesterday! Praise God! It was a very long day though for everyone involved. It took him a bit after surgery to get his blood pressures back to normal and to check to see if everything was functioning correctly. He'll be recovering from this for quite some time and this a step in the direction of off loading the pressures in his heart to help it grow so later he can have open heart surgery or transplant. So phase 1 complete and he seems to be taking it decently. They had to remove a section of his sternum for the procedure but put it back and that's what's under the superman symbol. So now he's Super Carson . We'll now more over the next couple days on which procedure is next and I'll keep everyone updated. He'll likely need to have another balloon procedure very soon which will be in his atrium called Atrial Septostomy. On another note Katie got to hold her little superman before he went into surgery which she hadn't held him in about 11 days.  We'd like to thank everyone for the immense amount of love and support and prayers. We can see Gods hand at work as He works with Carson and us through this difficult process. His successful surgery is a tremendous testimony of His love and mercy. I will try and keep everyone updated as we continue down this journey.

4/2/18 - Little Carson is still hanging in there but unfortunately the Left Ventricle of his heart isn't showing any signs of improvement. We've had a few echocardiograms to see how things are looking but again not much change. Tomorrow (9am) he's going to have to surgery and start the beginning of a tiered approach to help him grow to a state that his heart can have a large procedure and potentially a full replacement, if even possible. We have a long way to go but this will be step 1 in that direction. The surgery tomorrow is called the "Hybrid Approach" where they will band his pulmonary artery in two places. This will reduce the amount of blood flow to his heart and hopefully equalize the pressure as a whole in his heart and buy us some time so he can grow. The procedure will require his sternum to be broken and is a major surgery. Please pray that all goes well as we again embark on a journey of the unknown but hopeful approach. The cardiac team at Children's Mercy has been top notch and he is in amazing care. We thank you for the love and prayers and have faith that he is in Gods hands. I'll keep everyone updated as quick as I can. 

3/29/18 - Little Carson is stable but still struggling. The valvuloplasty that was done on Monday was mildly effective and we've had two echocardiograms since that have shown slight improvement but not enough to allow him to come off breathing support. Unfortunately his left ventricle isn't pumping hard enough. It's not showing signs of strength. They've put him on a new medication that may allow his heart to relax a bit and maybe normalize the pressure in all aspects, which may allow his heart muscle to grow, which is what the goal would be. Our case will be presented before a panel of cardiologists and pediatricians tomorrow morning and we will most likely be presented with a procedure that could help Carson get a little better. It's a wait and see at this point. He's so little and most of the procedures that have excellent results are for hearts that are a little bigger. He's got a long road of procedures and recovery and could definitely use prayers. Katie and I are trying to stay positive and keep our heads up but the unknown can be very tough. Continued prayers as we embark on an unknown journey and risky procedures. We would like to thank everyone for all the support and love and prayers and we have faith that God will take care of our little Carson. I will try and keep everyone updated as things come up.

3/26/18 - Little Carson had a very long day today. His balloon valvuloplasty of the aortic valve went excellent and according as the doctors explained and expected. Such an amazing blessing from God! Prayers were answered and so far he's on the road to recovery. We have another echo scan tomorrow to see how well the procedure is working. Again we will keep updating. We would like to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers and we are praying for continued recovery.

3/24/18 - Carson has aortic stenosis, a valve in his heart didn't develop properly, he may later on in life have to have heart surgery. Monday he will have a heart catheter sort of surgery to open up the valve that is not letting enough blood circulate through his body. Prayers that all goes well without complications. We have the final echo scan tomorrow morning to determine if we're on the right track. Prayers that little Carson and mama can hang in there. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers so far, we are so very blessed with great friends, family and a great team of medical staff.
  • Alicia Drummond 
    • $30 
    • 42 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 44 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 44 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $155 
    • 44 mos
  • Amy & Aaron Thomas 
    • $30 
    • 44 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Joseph Fountain 
Independence, MO
Chris Campbell 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more