Before there was Hancock there was Amboy Airport, and Camillus served as the veritable hub for general aviation in Central New York in the present hamlet of Amboy. This airport in the Town of Camillus served as a home base for innovations in flight from 1927 to early 1951; some of those innovations are still in use today. Those innovations include the first runway lights and the beacons on towers that were developed and first used here. Amboy was an important cog in the war effort. It performed a multitude of functions including serving as supply depot and a flight training center. Through the 1930s, Amboy was an aviation hub for the area. It was visited by such luminaries as Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Doolittle, Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan, Wiley Post, Lowell Thomas and Kate Smith.
A group of local aviation buffs would like to re-establish the Amboy reputation as an integral part of local aviation history. Our goal is to have a museum dedicated to both the refurbishment and the preservation of an important part of the aviation history of Greater Camillus. This is the seventh project for the Town of Camillus that will depict various aspects of our local history. Other local museums include the Erie Canal Park, Octagon House, Martisco Station, Agricultural Museum, School House #1, and Steam Station. Each of these museums represents the finished work of a dedicated group of volunteers who have provided insights into important parts of the history of the Greater Camillus area.
We are asking for donations to realize this dream. The price tag is a big one at $865,000.00 of which$250,000.00 is already secured with property donation and in-kind services at Reed Webster Park, not far from the original airport site. It is a big dream but Camillus residents and friends have always helped us realize our dreams. The committee is working hard to secure grant funding. The idea is a great one, and with continued hard work, patience and persistence, the project will be completed. Will you please consider donating to accomplish this lofty goal? Donors will be permanently displayed at the facility.
If you are hesitant to donate on-line, donations may be mailed to Aviation Historical Society of CNY, Camillus Municipal Bldg., 4600 West Genesee Street, Syracuse, NY 13219.
The society is also interested in obtaining any aviation artifacts connected to the Amboy site. Please contact Tom Kehoskie
Michael and Patricia Conroy
Fundraising team: Go Camillus Airport Museum (5)
Aviation Historical Society of Central New York Inc