This is a campaign to raise $850 so that I can attend the Annual Right Whale Conference, in Portland Maine from November 13 - 15, 2019.
- The funds will cover my transportation from Virginia to Maine via the train, and my lodging while I am in Maine. They will also cover the fee towards attending the conference.
- I am an artist whose research includes migration and extinction in human and non-human populations. I am particularly interested in the impact of anthropogenic extinction on whale populations, particularly the North Atlantic Right Whale.
- I have created different projects about extinction, all with an aim to help us "see" something that exists as a vanishing. This makes it hard to accurately visualize, and I have been compelled to this theme for the past ten years because I see the role that art can provide in this context.
- My most recent project with whales as the main character and theme has been "Whale Watching in October", a conceptual practice of whale watching everyday for the month of October. Each day I post a new "sighting" to an online interactive calendar. I am making this work in-residency with the online gallery GATE.
- During this month I have become more connected and obsessed with the life and death of Snake Eyes, #1226, a Right Whale who died in September 2019 after an intense two-month entanglement with rope. He was found floating, terribly decomposed, off the coast of New York. Being one of only about 400 in his remaining species, any death is a terrible sign.
- I want to attend the conference to directly connect with the experts in the field and learn from their presentations about the actual state of emergency that these whales face on a daily basis. From these connections I will begin to accumulate and create a new body of work that addresses, in a more engaged and informed way, the plight of this species and what we can still do to help assure their survival. I want to get as up-close to this species as possible, and attending this conference is certainly essential to that pursuit.
- Attending the conference would illuminate and inspire my practice for the coming months and years.
- I am selling artwork inspired by whales on my website, and any sales will go directly towards this campaign as well.
-I would need the funds by November 10.
- Any help you provide is met with SINCERE GRATITUDE and true appreciation! I have never done a campaign before but feel this is an urgent and necessary cause that will continue to manifest and inspire my work for months and years to come.
- Arvid Tomayko-Peters
- Rosie Flood
- Sue Abramson
- Jil Stifel
- Ivette Spradlin