A new school for Bocha
As most of us already know, much of Nepal is now in ruins – and one of the hardest hit regions was the Dolakha region, an area very, very long way away from Government and NGO assistance.
Our friend Tindu Sherpa is from this region. We contacted him to see how hewas holding up. He survived, but he described the devastation all around him. We offered to send him money or to help him build a house for his family. His response left us stunned.
Tindu got together with key members of this small town, Bocha – and they came back to us with a proposal. They said they are prepared to sleep in tents, but what they really want is a new school for their 350 children.
We agreed to help. Now, not even three weeks later, it is miraculous how things are so quickly coming together:
- Pei Yong’s mother sent out the word to her friends, and within days we have pledges of almost $5,000 to allow us to get started.
- One of Andrew’s clients imports manufactured buildings from China into Australia, and he has helped us identify the best prefabricated products for the school, and he has put us in contact with his manufacturing contacts in in China.
- Pei Yong is using her contacts in the import/export business to help us transport the buildings from China to Calcutta in India, and then on to Nepal.
- The Nepali Embassy of Australia is strongly supporting us with letters to customs for importation and any contacts we may need to make this project work.
- The town people of Bocha have banded together and have now cleared the rubble from the site of the destroyed school,and they have pledged their labour and enthusiasm to make this school happen – and their message to us is: “Hurry, we are ready!”
This project already has all the necessary ingredients, and it is going to happen. We are both committed to managing this project ourselves and to contribute whatever money it takes to build a school building – and to go to Nepal(at our own expense) if necessary.
However, our personal budget and the pledges we currently have will stretch to only one very modest building. We know that we can provide so much more! We can see clearly the possibility of at least 8 classrooms and a small school hall where the children can learn and the town folk can meet.
We have a big vision, and we need your help to make this happen. Our unreasonable request of you is that you give generously to make this project a remarkable contribution tothe town of Bocha. Our commitment to you is that we will cover all of our own expenses, so that every dollar you give will be spent on making this school a reality. We hope to start the construction in August. Please give generously.
With much love and gratitude,
For further information, please visit us atwww.aimgod.org.au