While Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) has always been something that's pushed on me, I didn't feel comfortable pursuing it unti I started with Allina Clinics. With Allina, doctors have actually worked with me on health issues, and they don't blame my weight for everything in my life. This has allowed me to have honest medical discussions with my care team. Through these conversations, I've come to the decision that, after struggling with my weight for fifteen years, I want to spend the next fifteen years doing things I've always wanted to do, instead of continuing to struggle.
This fall, I will be having a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG), meaning that my care team and wonderful surgeon (Dr. Linden of Abbott Northwestern/Children's Minneapolis), will be removing about 85% of my stomach, forming it into a sleeve that connects my esophagus to my duodenum. There is no other rearranging of any other anatomy, and the entire surgery is done laproscopically. I chose this type of WLS because it is the least invasive surgery option, and I believe that, once I get over the "hump" that I hit every time I try to lose weight, and I get some good mobility back in my life, I will be able to keep going for years to come.
I've created this page primarily to offer a venue for family to donate to help pay for this surgery for me. I'm fortunate that it is mostly covered by insurance, but there is a large co-pay required as well. I will be having the surgery right around my birthday, so in lieu of birthday or Christmas presents, I'm asking family and friends to help me take back my health with any small donation.
Some things I am excited to do after surgery:
- RUN! At my current weight, it is not recommended for me to run at all, which sucks, because I LOVE running!
- Participate in fun-run events such as 5ks, working my way up to Spartan races.
- Getting stronger! I'm starting work with a local personal training gym, and I'm looking forward to getting more mobility so that I can work on making my body strong.
- Discovering more foods--I've already broadened my food horizons, working to eat whole foods and cut out sugary things, but being a part of the VSG community is already helping to open me up to more food options that are better for me. I'm excited to see my relationship with food flourish as I find good things to keep me going.
- Being Healthier--While I am a proponent of Body Positivity, and I know that fat does not equal unhealthy, my weight has caused many health problems in my life. I look foward to lessened knee pain, less joint pain, fewer digestive issues, and improved reproductive health.
- CLOTHES! You all know me. I don't hate the idea of having to buy a whole new wardrobe :)
So thank you for taking the time to read this. If you can't donate, that's completely okay! I look forward to having the support of my friends and family during this undertaking even if you aren't able to assist financially.
- Robert Lawler
- G'ma & G'pa Olson
- Mike and Keri Lawler
- Clark & Mary Koenen
- Anne Mertensotto
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more