I am a seventh grader who has an amazing opportunity to travel to India with my school. In addition to touring India, we will visit a Habshis or "Siddi" village. I'll be going to the Schomburg Library to begin my research on the "Siddi" people and will learn more when I arrive in India. We leave for India on March 23, 2013 for a ten day trip.
THE "SIDDIS" (aka HABSHIS) of INDIA:
The "Siddis" are part of the African Diaspora. These are African peoples whose presence in India goes back to the 1500s and much earlier. The people in the village we will visit were considered untouchables for many centuries, so they struggle as a people economically. We will bring them supplies for their school and explore other ways we can be of service. They are looking forward to our visit. Above is a photo of the village we will visit. It was taken by Dr. B. Dorsett.
OTHER ASPECTS OF OUR TRIP
- Practice rug making and wool blanket making
- Visit schools
- Go on safari
- Visit a sugar cane mill
- Ride on an elephant
- See the Taj Mahal
QUESTIONS I AM EXPLORING
- How is Indian culture similar to and different from American culture?
- What are Indian schools like?
- What is the dance and music of African Indians and Indians like?
- How did the "Siddi" people come to be in India?
- What do they call themselves and say about their history?
- What African traditions do they continue?
- In what ways are the Siddi people poor and rich?
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP
Any and all support is really appreciated. I know not everyone can give money. Perhaps you can share this link with your family and. close friends - using discretion, of course. This would be a help. Thank you.
WHAT I WILL BRING BACK FOR YOU
I was surprised to find out how many people I know have already been to India or heard of the Siddis. I hope I can help you know more about India through:
- Photos and videos
- My journal
- A report on my trip
- A souvenir from India for anyone who would like one
IF WE RAISE MORE THAN ENOUGH
I will donate any additional funds to the school's India Trip Fund*.
- Airfare and hotel - $2600
- Visa - $73
- Special Travel School Uniforms - $100
- Spending Money - $150
- Donation to the School's India Trip Fund (optional) - $500*
- "Gofundme.com" fundraising platform & payment service fee - $272**
*This fund subsidizes the cost of the trip for all of the students going and provides aid to those who don't have enough money to go. I hope to raise enough to pay my way AND to make a contribution.)
**(8%) - Donations made off-line (directly to me) will avoid the 8% fee per donation, and can still be posted on this site.
DonationsSee top donations
- Jelani DeLeon
- David Scott
- Averil Fergusson
- Sis. Avril Fergusson
- Monica Cobham
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more