Oye family Medical fund

As many of you know Justin and I welcomed a healthy 6lb 14 ounce little boy on 06/13/17, Briar Allen Oye. We thought our family was complete and were so excited to get home and enjoy our time as a family. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and took a turn for the worse. Following Briar's birth I had been complaining of sever abdominal, rib and back pain. I was unable to stand up without screaming and being in excruciating pain. After 4 different catheters and me explaining over and over again that I felt like I was dying I was finally taken seriously where they performed an X-ray and a CT scan along with took some blood. The results were our worst nightmare as they told me my kidney function was 3 times the normal range and my bladder and left Ureter (the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder) had been hit and were leaking urine into my abdomen. As we waited to hear what the next steps were they had taken me down to put a nephrostomy tube in my left kidney since the urine was unable to drain into my bladder because my left ureter was hit. I woke up the next day feeling very confused as I didn't know the extent of everything and wasn't sure what kind of journey lied ahead. After several hours had passed it was determined that urine still wasn't draining into my catheter (meaning it was going into my abdomen). They weren't sure on what the next steps were but they did know that I needed to be transferred elsewhere to receive better care. This is when things really hit hard for Justin and I as we had to leave our newborn baby and our 20 month old at home while I was life flighted to the University of Minnestoa along with 4 ambulance rides. As the unknown hit as far as when we were going to be able to go home and what this meant for my long term health we had several questions for the Urology team at the U of M. They had given us a couple options 1 being surgery however, they were not pushing this as their first option because I had just had surgery for my c-section and my uterus had not descended enough to perform surgery at that time. Option 2 was they would do an X-ray and figure out where the hole was in my bladder and put a pointed catheter in pointing away from the hole and hook me up to a suction to the suck the urine out while the bladder healed on it's own. After several days of unable to get out of bed attempting to get my bladder to heal while a machine sucked the urine out of me it was decided that this option was going to need more time meaning I would have to stay there longer to get the bladder to heal on it's own. After many conversations with the Urology team we decided our next option would be bladder surgery and if they were able to fix the left ureter while they were in there they would do that also. on 06/23/17 I went in for a 5 hour surgery where they were able to repair the two holes in my bladder and put a full stent in my left ureter (I eventually would need this removed). They had advised me that I had a 50/50 chance my ureter would stay open when the stent is removed. Justin quickly asked what it meant for us if the ureter did not stay open and they informed us at that time they would have to robotically go in and surgically recreate a new ureter (meaning another surgery). We spent an additional two days in the hospital after surgery and I was sent home with a nephrostomy tube that was capped in my left kidney and a catheter draining urine. Boy were we glad to finally be reunited with our babies after 14 very long days in the hospital. I had to monitor my fluid intake and my urine output until I went back to the U of M on 07/07/2017. Dr. Anderson removed my staples from the surgery and removed my catheter, they had perscribed me medicine for a bladder/UTI infection due to the fact that I had a catheter for 3 weeks. As soon as we thought things were getting better they took another turn for the worse. That following week after getting my catheter removed I developed a 103.3 temp. and was unable to get it to decrease. I went to the ER where they quickly admitted me due to my past history and the seriousness of an infection. They ran multiple blood tests, took my urine, and performed two ultrasounds and it came back that I had a sever kidney infection and my body was rejecting the full stent and my nephrostomy tube. They kept me over the weekend and were giving me IV antibiotics and closely monitoring my fever. I was sent home with oral antibiotics that I still continue to take until I go back to the U of M on 08/08/2017 to have my full stent removed. If my ureter does not stay open without the stent I will be planning to have another surgery in the future where they will go in robotically and surgerically recreate a new ureter. 

Throughout our journey so far we have overcome many struggles and still have many to face. This journey is not over yet and they aren't sure on when I will be able to return to work. The latest update for a return date I have been told is unknown at this time. We have been faced with a significant amount of medical bills and bills in general as our income is down to one person until further notice. We can't thank our friends and family enough for the continued support and prayers during this journey. The amount of help we have received during this difficult time means so much to us. 

We ask that you continue to pray for us and help get us through this journey. 

Thank you all, 

The Oye's 


 See top
  • Erik & Amy Sevig 
    • $50 
    • 42 mos
  • Betty Kopp 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
  • Shari Springer 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
  • Terry & Linda Beilke 
    • $50 
    • 42 mos
  • Gary & Myrna Church 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Kara Lynn Oye 
Casselton, ND
Justin Oye 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more