Sheryl's Breast Cancer Fund

As some of you may know already and some who haven’t heard, Sheryl was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on January 17th. She discovered a lump in her left breast in November and contacted her doctor. She was sent to have a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound performed, which in turn lead to a biopsy of the lump. Once the cancer was confirmed, she was referred to a breast cancer surgeon who ordered a MRI of both breasts. There were additional spots within her left breast and one within her right breast. A MRI guided biopsy was performed on the other spots in her left breast and the cancer was still contained within the milk ducts. Following discussions with her breast cancer surgeon and her oncologist, Sheryl has decided to have a double mastectomy.  Her oncologist explained the pros and cons of undergoing chemotherapy before or after the breasts removal. She has decided to undergo chemo prior to surgery.  The doctors are expecting the chemo will shrink the tumors in her breasts and attack any possible rogue cancer cells that may have left the breast area. By undergoing chemo prior to breast removal the doctors will receive confirmation the cancer was responsive to the chemo, evident in the shrinkage of the primary tumor and in turn will have attacked any rouge cells. If breasts removal were to be performed prior to chemo, the doctors and Sheryl would be left wondering if the chemo actually was successful in killing any possible remaining cancer. Her first chemo treatment is tentatively scheduled for March 1st. She will undergo eight (8) treatments over a sixteen (16) week period. The doctors will allow her to rest for six (6) weeks for her body to heal prior to the breast removal surgery. If everything goes as planned, she will have surgery sometime in August. Then in the fall / early winter she will begin the reconstructive process. Sheryl has a good support group with her in Tampa. Christi and I will be making trips down throughout this journey to help, Carly is very eager to help her “Little Palm Tree” as well. Cammie is unable to make the trips as her metastatic kidney cancer has begun to grow again. She is getting ready to undergo radiation on her sternum and has begun a new course of treatment which entails her receiving an intravenous immunotherapy treatment every two weeks.   #barninggirlsstrong Sheryl does have health insurance, thank goodness, but unfortunately it has a high deductible and out of pocket maximum. In addition to this she will, at times, have to miss work during her chemo treatment, four (4) weeks following her breast removal surgery and three (3) weeks during the reconstructive process. We have set up this GoFundMe to help ease the burden on Sheryl during this time, allowing her to concentrate on her recovery and health. Please keep Sheryl in your thoughts and prayers as she fights this disease.  We thank you in advance for your support. We’ll keep everyone updated. If any of you know our youngest sister Cammie and would like to make a donation to her GoFundMe, we are attaching a link here that will allow you to do so.
  • Sharon Tabard 
    • $50 (Offline)
    • 50 mos
  • Connie Brethman 
    • $50 (Offline)
    • 50 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $125 (Offline)
    • 50 mos
  • Jeff Hartley  
    • $250 
    • 50 mos
  • Sharon Ross 
    • $25 (Offline)
    • 50 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Kimberly S Barning Norton 
Greenwood, IN
Sheryl Barning