It is a hands-on project in a small rural village north of Lusaka, Zambia. The school currently has only one classroom. It is part of the Zambia Open Community Schools system. There are about 150 students currently attending nursery school and grade 1.
The community wants to expand the school to 4 classrooms because there are many other children who cannot attend school because of the lack of classroom space. It has a large catchment area of several villages but very limited classroom capacity. The nearest government school is 6kms away and that tends to discourage parents from sending their children to school.
There are several components to this project and this is what I would be doing in Zambia in March 18th along with 20 other Rotarians from my community.
· Building a 3 classroom block
· Purchasing and assembling desks for the new and existing classrooms
· Purchasing water filters and training local community members how to use and maintain them.
· Starting a library at the school
· Providing curriculum books and teaching aids to the school
· Providing sports equipment to the school
· Providing backpacks with school supplies and new clothing for all students
· Facilitating “programming sessions” with the teachers and students at the school
· Completing a needs assessment to determine next steps at the school and in the local community
District 7010 Rotarians will have the opportunity to be involved in this hands-on project in Zambia.
The funds will assist in my personal cost to travel and stay in Zambia and assist in this project. The commitment this project is required by September 2017.
The support for me to be involved in this project would mean the world to me! I would grateful to all who can assist me in embracing this opportunity!
- Donna Mae Tolton
- Robyn BLOIS
- Deborah Foster-Stahle
- Katie O'Hearn
- Ryan O'Hearn
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more