Being a really small synchro team from a very small town we are really overwhelmed with all the attention and support we are getting from all over the world after NYT had published an article about us written by Malin Fezehai.
Some people are asking about how they can support the team and where to make a donation. I ( coach Olga) had decided to create this campaign so you can donate (if you wish so) without getting off your comfortable sofa. :) . For those who prefer bank transfers we can always provide the account info.
As for what are the team needs:
* We always need money when it's time to carry girls to the competitions abroad. The costs are: airlines tickets, hotel, food, transportation, meet entry fees. Any even cheapest trip for a team to Florida meet cost at least $500 per person. And if you multiply that by 7 (5 swimmers+coach+team manager (mom)) it comes up to a big number. And very often we have to miss an important for us competition because we can not afford to pay for it.
* To develop the program we need more swimmers. The pool where the team is practicing is out of town on top of the hill. It cost swimmers extra money to get here and back by taxi. if we would have enough funds to organize them pick up and drop off from town and back, we could let more girls to join the program.
* Thinking globally. If we would be able to raise enough funds to build a public swimming pool in Port Antonio so the kids could walk there after school, we definitely could serve to more synchro swimmers as well as developing a Learn To Swim program to help young kids develop this life skill.
* We also are trying to develop synchronized swimming in Kingston ( Jamaican capital). There are lots of pools there, but not enough synchro coaches to lead a club and even National development program. We are looking for financial support to bring in a foreign coach, who could start and lead this program while preparing local coaches.
* And one more little thing. Leila, one of the swimmers, needs a knee surgery. She got her knee injured in April last year and it still has not healed. The surgery cost is about $5000USD. The insurance that Laila has as a National Team swimmer will cover 80% of it. But she still need to pay the balance. After almost a year of doctors visits and physiotherapy, her mom can not manage this alone. We will need to find money to help her.
So here is our little story.
If you are willing to support us, thank you very much. We are very thankful for any donation.
Coach Olga & the brave 5. :)
P.S. For those of you who is wondering why we have a strange person as a beneficiary. To start a campaign we needed an account in the US bank. We did not have one. Uncle Steve ( as the girls calling him) was nice to allow us to use his. Steve is a long time team supporter , an MC at all our shows and my ( Olga 's ) father in low.
- EAASY Foundation
- Alisa Pascale
- Arlene Colthirst
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more