My name is Asuquo Okon a Nigerian, who came to the UK to pursue a PhD degree. I registered as an International student for PhD in oil and Gas Accounting at Abertay University in Dundee Scotland between 2014 -2018. I unjustly suffered racial profiling, bias, unfair treatment and discrimination while at Abertay University, which eventually led to the denial of my PhD certificate by Abertay University.
As an international student, I have exhorted all windows of mediation as I paid two Solicitors to intervened since, 2018 to no avail. It was this week a lawyer advised that the only remedy would be for me to seek redress in the court of law. I do not have that an enormous sum needed to pursue the case. Again, I can not return to my home country empty-handed without either returning the sponsored funds including living costs or present my certificate to my sponsor.
Please, I humbly request the support of the general public to assist me in pursuing this case.
This is my Story:
1. Dr Aminu Hassan included a command “est clear” into my data set meant for analysis, which deleted all my analysis results. I reported to the University without ay action.
2. I went to the then Head of Dundee Business School (Prof Gavin C. Reid) stood at the door of his office and requested to offer him an explanation being the head of School on what took place. Also, what Dr Aminu Hassan had been doing to me concerning my research work as well as inform him about the information Prof Mohammed Branine related to me. But, unknown to me the then Head of Dundee Business School (Prof Gavin C. Reid) demised me from saying anything. He later secretly wrote the then Head of Governance of Abertay University (Dr Alison Ramsay), stating that I pointed hand to him in a gun shape and saying I want to kill.
3. The Head of Governance Academic Registry of Abertay University (Dr Alison Ramsay) in possession of the damaging email against me never bring it to my notice and treated me abysmally based on the information she held against me.
4. Upon the removal of the Dr Aminu Hassan from the Supervisory Team as requested by me, Prof Reza Kouhy recommended the inclusion of Dr Bibek Bhatta as a replacement of Dr Aminu Hassan in the supervisory Team. I accepted without any objection. However, during one of the meetings, Dr Bibek Bhatta raised the issue of omitted variables in the model and asked me to include microeconomics variables. Nevertheless, I wrote to Dr Bhatta Bibek for further explanation and mention of those variables he rightly observed as missing in my model. Dr Bhatta Bibek never responded with the remark of the observed missing variables.
5. As a good practice in an academic environment, I wrote and requested to present my research work before the Abertay University academic community, which I have done severally in the Abertay University internal and external conferences. However, Prof Reza Kouhy, disdainfully objected that golden opportunity that would have been used to wave-off all the grey areas in my academic endeavour.
6. However, requesting the removal of Dr Aminu Hassan from my Supervisory Team, Prof Reza Kouhy had read and given correction from chapter 1 to seven of the seven chapters’ thesis without any recorded hesitation or refusal from me to adhere to their instructions. Specifically, Prof Reza Kouhy, upon the receipt of my chapter six of the seven-chapter thesis wrote back to our Client acknowledging the submission on Sunday 14/02/2016 at about 2132 hours with the following statement “Thank you Asuquo for this submission. I look forward to read the chapter”. Upon the removal of Dr Aminu Hassan from the Supervisory Team, my academic work was no longer good before Prof Reza Kouhy, who has earlier read and approved chapter one to seven of the thesis sent to him.
7. Few days to the final submission of my thesis, the principal Supervisor (Prof Reza Kouhy) and then Head of Abertay graduate School (Dr Nia white) requested a meeting with me in the cramped room; I was given in the library to complete my work. During the meeting, Dr Nia White broke the news that Prof Reza Kouhy is no longer interested being my Supervisor. I pointed to her before Prof Reza Kouhy the implication of the action just a few days to the final submission. She (Dr Nia White) referred to the section of the student’s handbook that empowered the student to take responsibility for submitting his/her work without authorisation from the principal Supervisor. However, while, concluding the meeting, she promised not to grant me a further extension to refine (proofread) my work before submission.
8. Meanwhile, after I must have submitted the final thesis to the Abertay University and copied Prof Reza Kouhy. Prof Reza Kouhy immediately wrote to the Registrar (Susan Campbell) and stated that I did not consider the advice of the supervisory Team, mentioning himself, Dr Aminu Hassan and Dr Bhatta Bibek. After this submission, Prof Reza Kouhy went ahead and nominated (His friend ) as the external supervisory to assess my thesis during the viva voce, which the implication is obvious. The opportunity of choosing both the internal and external Supervisor was not availed to me in the situation I found myself.
9. Thereafter, I made a subject request of all the email from Abertay University. Upon the delivery of the emails to me that I discovered the email Professor Gavin Reid wrote to discredit me to the Abertay University. I immediately wrote to the Abertay University through the Registrar (Susan Campbell) and informing her about the damaging email from Professor Gavin Reid. Therefore, it was within the strength of this information, that I requested for Professor Gavin Reid removal as my internal examiner on the basis of bias. On the contrary, Abertay University refused to align with my request and imposed Prof Gavin Reid against my wish as my internal examiner. Moreover, Prof Gavin Reid immediately resigned from his role with the Abertay University as the Head of Dundee Business School upon the receipt of my email, exposing his evil against me.
10. Thereafter, Prof Gavin and Prof Reza Kouhy's friend who preceded as my internal and external examiners condemned the entire work from Chapter One to Chapter Seven without an option of amending it. Again, Abertay University held unto it till date and I have written to the Vice-Chancellor Prof Nigel Seaton without any positive response.
11. However, before the final submission of my thesis to the Abertay University, being the Student Representative of the PhD Students in the Abertay University, I have written to the University stating what other students were undergoing within the supervision of Prof Reza Kouhy and Dr Aminu Hassan with evidence. Abertay University turned deaf hear to the information provided by me, who serves as a whistle-blower. Information provided by me to the Abertay University must have angered Prof Reza Kouhy and others. Whose action and intent have proven their unwillingness to allow me to earn the certificate I registered for. However, Abertay University never looks into the issues raised by me, who was the PhD student’s representative.
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom