Oswalt Fire Recovery: June 29, 2016

When Lorna, Roy, and their son, Neil, left the house on that beautiful Wednesday morning, they had no way of knowing that by the end of the day, they would have only the clothes they were wearing and would have no where to live. 

But on June 29, that's exactly what happened when the electrical outlet between two 2nd floor bedrooms caught fire and burned nearly the entire house. The fire destroyed the entire 2nd floor, burned a hole through to the 1st floor, and wreaked its havoc there as well. They will have to entirely gut the house to rebuild and will be displaced for approximately 6 months.

Fortunately, most importantly, the family wasn't home at the time and their 2 cats survived the fire. They are very grateful for the alert stranger who saw the smoke when they drove by at 9:05 a.m. and called 911. Otherwise, who knows what the outcome could have been. 

Describing the damage, Lorna says, "my new word is 'devastating.'" The family lost nearly everything, including a vast collection of irreplacable handmade scrapbooks and photo collections. While nothing can replace the pictures, please consider helping in any way you can. 

Thank you!

  • Larry& Heather Kilpatrick  
    • $50 
    • 66 mos
  • Stacey Hannahoe-Polley 
    • $500 
    • 66 mos
  • Jessica Potteiger Tastefully Simple consultant 
    • $25 
    • 66 mos
  • Jennifer Webber 
    • $50 
    • 66 mos
  • Tracy Schwenig 
    • $25 
    • 66 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Amy Serafino 
Hamburg, PA
Lorna Oswalt 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more