Mika's Medical Blunder

Hello All! 

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read our story. I am not one to ask for help, unless from my parents if necessary, but this is something much different than anything else I would ask for.

I have wanted a Husky since I was super little - did the reseach, knew what I was getting myself into, prepared months in advance, etc. So when the time came to pick up my little Mika from our wonderful breeder, Anna, I couln't contain my excitement. She is full of energy, attitude and sass and I wouldn't have it any other way. She is my little babies, my little lovey, and I can't imagine a life without her - even after a few months. 

On Friday, August 4th, I woke up at 3:00am to a huge pile of vomit on my bed. Thinking Mika just got into something, I cleaned it up and moved to the couch. She paced throughout the night and vomitted two additional times, more than what she eats in just one day. I got ready for work, played with her a bit (she seemed a little off) and looked into her eyes before leaving for the day. One pupil was the size of a pin, the other was extremely dilated - and I knew this wasn't ok. Long story long, I took her to the emergency vet and stayed with her for six hours while they tried to figure out what was wrong. 

After the first six hours, the vet said I could take her home and "wait and see" since both an opthimology and a neurology specialist had no idea what was going on. I decided that she needed to stay where she could get care. The next morning, she wasn't better. They took an x-ray and it showed nothing. The blood work showed nothing. Her vitals were normal. Everyone was baffled. 

An ultrasound was suggested and I had no hesitation to say 'yes'. I needed my baby to be better. The results came back and she had Intussusception. Surgery was planned right away on Saturday afternoon to remove the part of her intestines that were infected.  I received a call from the vet late Saturday and was told that the surgery went well. I was able to visit her on Sunday early evening and she seemed to be more herself. And she had eaten - thank God! 

It is now Monday and I am finally able to take her home this afternoon. We are not out of the water at this point but I am praying that she will make to day five healthy. The biggest concern is reoccurance - which terrifies me. But no matter what, I will do everything in my power to protect and take care of my little lady. 

Mika's vet bills totaled at a little more than $9,200 but I am only asking for help with half.  When she came home with me, on day one, I vowed to always take care of her - no matter how stressful, no matter how devistating financially, no matter what

Thank you so much for your time and for your consideration. Mika will HAPPILY give you many, many kissies and lovies. 

Mika and Bry

  • Anonymous 
    • $500 
    • 61 mos
  • Michael Jamnick 
    • $36 
    • 61 mos
  • sue kruskopf 
    • $50 
    • 61 mos
  • Kimberly Shawn-Lester 
    • $100 
    • 61 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $501 (Offline)
    • 61 mos
See all


Bry Shablow 
Minneapolis, MN