Malia's Cure

It has been almost a year now since Malia Hassenbein’s symptoms began to develop, alerting her family to the fact that “something” was not functioning correctly in Malia’s body. The first indications of an issue included numbness in her feet and legs and gastrointestinal issues, in addition to cognitive changes. The seriousness of Maila’s condition became more obvious to family and friends when she was admitted into the Los Robles Hospital last Christmas (2013). Since that time, Malia and her family have spent much of their physical and emotional lives, throughout this past year, focused on seeking a diagnosis and cure for Maila’s condition. They have seen several different specialists at various facilities, and Malia has been admitted to Children’s hospital L.A. twice since her first hospital stay at Los Robles, last December.

We write to you now, in despair and desperation, to share with you that Malia has once again been admitted to the hospital. She has been there for one full week, as of the date this document was finalized(Oct. 31st, 2014). Finally a group of specialists is planning to meet on her behalf to explore the network of test results accomplished thus far, and hopefully proceed toward a diagnosis for Malia’s ongoing condition. Malia has suffered through a series of spinal taps, MRI’s, Cat scans, blood tests and various other delicate and painful procedures throughout this year. In addition she has suffered the loss of a “normal” teen high school experience and studies from home, due to the complications of her disease. Her symptoms have worsened, and still, there is no conclusive diagnosis to be offered from any of the professionals involved in her case, only a general agreement that Malia has a condition defined as “Transverse Myelitis.” The cause of 60% of TM cases may remain unknown in patients, however, the remaining 40% is associated with autoimmune disorders, which when properly diagnosed may, under the best of circumstances, be combated and treated. 

We are now approaching the one year anniversary since Malia’s illness first began. Still her family has received no conclusive answers. It seems that they have run the full course of potential assistance available to them within the local communities, and hopelessness is beginning to settle in. The next step now is to begin to consider a more specialized treatment approach, which is not likely to be covered by insurance, and which will involve more distant travel commitments abroad for the family. Several resources are being researched and considered at this time.

Our goal in setting up this “Gofundme” account, on Malia’s behalf, is designed to offer to this family as much support as we can possibly create, in order to assist the next phase of Malia’s recovery. While the family has been incredibly grateful for the emotional support they have received from loved ones thus far, their ultimate and most urgent need now includes financial support. 


As the Hassenbein family spends the next few weeks researching the most appropriate course of action to be taken toward Malia’s healing, we are reaching out to the Hassenbein’s community of friends and family now to urgently ask for your financial support. Your generous financial contributions will aid in the progress of this important next development, on behalf of Malia. Ultimately, our desire is that funds collected from this campaign will provide the financial support necessary for the Hassenbein family, as they move closer to the cure for Malia.


Please join us now, as we raise this family up and into the cure for Malia’s illness. Thank you.

  • Anonymous 
    • $200 
    • 76 mos
  • Don Hassenbein 
    • $100 
    • 77 mos
  • Larry Wagner 
    • $1,500 
    • 77 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 77 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 78 mos
See all

Organizer

Mara Barrows Hassenbein 
Organizer
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more