Hello, my name is Christopher deGruchy. Myself, the Jeremy Carroll Foundation and a group of friends are setting up this Go Fund Me page in order to help the Katzin Family. Sandy Katzin is a single mother with 2 boys; one of whom is a 15 year old with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
We have known Sandy for about 6 years as she worked to best provide for her family through actively identifying resources.
Left alone to raise her boys when her youngest son was diagnosed with Duchenne’s, Sandy took charge of the situation and sought out support groups that could provide guidance. She didn’t look for handouts as she continued to work at her longtime job, rather, she gave back to the community by engaging her family in promoting the awareness of Muscular Dystrophy and supporting the fight for a cure. Her son has been the local Goodwill Ambassador for the cause for years and last September was honored with the Berks County Community Hero Award.
Life was actually looking up. Her youngest son reacted positively in drug trials which were later approved by the FDA in 2016; paving the way to a higher quality of life for people with Muscular Dystrophy! Her eldest son was accepted to West Chester University to study Forensic Chemistry.
This all changed in January when the following occurred almost simultaneously:
1. She was informed that her Health Insurance company would not support the drug regime her son has, although FDA approved.
2. She received notice from the bank that the house she lives in was going to be foreclosed due to the Landlord not paying the mortgage.
3. Her youngest son had an accident and cracked his knee cap resulting in a lot more time off from work.
4. Her daytime support nurse resigned.
Although Sandy is a Strong, Smart woman, all this happening at once has been overwhelming. She has certainly “not taken this lying down”, as she is working on all the issues. She even went so far as to pay the bank what was owed by the landlord in order to get the house out of Foreclosure!
We are setting up this fund to help offset the extra costs that Sandy is experiencing in order to reduce the combined stress from all that has occurred. We are setting a Fund Goal of $ 25,000. This amount was calculated based on the following:
1. $ 6,000 spent to take the house out of Foreclosure.
2. $ 5,000 in lost pay for the additional time off due to the issues.
3. $14,000 for additional medical expenses bills.
4. Any funds raised above the goal will go toward acquiring the house that her boys have only known and to modify it to continue to meet her youngest sons increasing Medical/Physical needs.
Thank you for your consideration in this fund. Stay tuned as we update the progress she has on getting past these recent issues.
- Kim Boehm
- A Friend Of a Friend
- Anonymous Family
- Charles Johnston
- Christopher deGruchy
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more