Kairos - An independent film

My name is Paul Barakat, and I am an independent filmmaker in Sydney, Australia. For the past two years, my wife Carla and I have been developing a unique feature film called 'Kairos' that focuses on telling a compelling story through the eyes of a lead character with Down syndrome. The film takes its title from an ancient greek word which means 'the supreme or opportune moment for one to take action'.

Star Chris Bunton (right) and director Paul Barakat (centre) watch the playback monitor on the set of 'Kairos'.

The Film

We have crafted this film in the familiar framework of the boxing sports drama, but with an interesting twist.

In the film, we follow Danny, a young man with Down syndrome who yearns to be part of the boxing world. After an unexpected mishap occurs between he and his mentor John, a former pugilist, the two men must deal with the emotional and psychological fallout of the incident.

Teaser Trailer

Why we need funding:

Filmmaking is an expensive craft, and although we have managed to get quite far by investing all of our own time and money, (we’ve self funded 90% of the project), we still face some expensive final stages to give this film a real shot. 

Through multiple campaigns across various avenues (ACF, indiegogo), we have managed to raise 65% of the post-production goal, but still need to raise the remaining 35% to make our journey a little easier.

We have already shot and edited the film and it has also been given a basic clean up on sound, but we still have a few hurdles we need to clear before we are finished.

These funds will go towards remaining post production costs and overheads that will help us prepare the film for a broader festival release. 
We are also seeking sponsors for much larger contributions to the more expensive aspects of post production and marketing (as well as getting film festival market releases, sales agent, etc).

If you are interested in knowing more about how you or a company you know could help in these other areas of funding, please contact us at [email redacted]

Value in this project:

As filmmakers, we wanted to create a powerful story that gave centre stage to an actor and a community who are so rarely seen on cinema screens. We have invested so much of our own lives into this project and we are almost there! We need your help to get over the finish line!

We have already been featured on Network Ten’s ‘The Project’, with the interview reaching over 135,000 views online. We have also appeared in print and online media (https://www.filmink.com.au/check-teaser-aussie-boxing-drama-kairos/), so the word about our little independent film is spreading!

The main benefit is that your generosity will have helped us create an important film that will shatter stereotypes and promote inclusivity.

We have to make one thing clear - this is definitely not a 'message' movie, but rather an engrossing and sometimes confronting drama that allows us to reflect on the nature of identity. Rather than patronise the characters, we have worked with the actors to deliver a story that goes to some dark places.

Drama is supposed to be about the struggle of characters, so nothing comes easy in this film for anyone, regardless of their abilities. Despite the dark undertones in this coming of age tale, there are definitely moments of hope.

This film has already changed our lives, and we believe it has the potential to have a true impact if we can give it the professional polish it deserves and get it in front of the right people. We hope we can achieve that by mid 2018.



In the media:




 See top
  • Eric Paul Goldeie 
    • $5 
    • 32 mos
  • Dean Smith 
    • $100 
    • 32 mos
  • Carmel Lawrence 
    • $50 
    • 34 mos
  • Adam Dean 
    • $50 
    • 34 mos
  • Cuong Nguyen  
    • $115 
    • 34 mos
See all


Paul Barakat 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more