Brain Tumor: recovery

Jacki loving mother of three and wife is recovering from a brain tumor biopsy.
Pathology is not complete at this time. More treatments will be required. Bills not covered by insurance, are unknown. I'm asking for your help so that I can be her caregiver at home while she recovers from the first of multiple treatments. What our living expenses are will take all of my paid leave and only provide enough for several weeks off. Far less than will be required to stay with her during allowed time off work. I've applied for the family care act from work and I want to be home with her and my children as we navigate recovery for as long as possible. 
Jacki's Story

On Thursday March 6th, 2014 around 3:30 in the afternoon I returned home from work. Kids made their plans and Jacki was off to get her hair highlighted at the salon. Around 4:30 I got a call from the Holy Spirit Hospital and was told my wife was there after suffering a seizure at the hair salon. The emergency room doctor ran several test to explain what happened. All her vitals were normal. He then ordered a ct scan. Expecting to go home pending the results of the ct scan it appeared to just be something unexplained. 10 minutes later the test came back and he said we must go to Hershey Medical and an ambulance was being ordered to take her there. The doctor explained it was an almond size tumor that appeared in the CT scan. Jacki wanted to go home first but the Doctor said she would have to do that against medical advice and sign papers stating such.
The night got worse as the gravity of our worse fears became all too real. The doctors at Hershey began their examination. She had the onset of anxiety. The children were at home waiting for us.  As the night grew darker Jacki promised the doctors we would return in the morning to do and MRI if we could just go home now. 

Again they didn't recommend that. We were scared. I had to leave to take car of the kids. I got a call around midnight. Jacki was having panic attacks. I called my mother to come over and I went back over. I held her hand to calm her as the doctors did their work. She had swelling in her brain. She kept asking to go home and they said if there's improvements, maybe. The following day things clamed down. Friday came and went. We were allowed to go home and rest Saturday. The biopsy was scheduled for Monday morning.

On the way home Jacki said we had to grocery shop. This was one of our dating rituals. Grocery shopping. I had already done that earlier before picking her up. She said we needed a few more things. (I can't do it right by myself). By the time we finished it was another week of groceries. She dropped things several times from her right hand. She hand trouble looking and reading labels. I could see signs I wasn't willing to believe. She was begining to fail. 

We got home put them away and visited with the kids. We retired early and had soft easy conversation. Nothing heavy or deep. The next morning as we woke the phone rang. The Doctors wanted us to go back to the Hospital to do another MRI.

The day flew by. We got back home and made dinner. Again retired early. Our daughter Elisabeth came in to our room and wanted to sleep with mom so I went upstairs.

Monday morning we went through admission. Shuttled from one station to another. Finally we got to our waiting area. Nurses and doctors came and went. At 9:18 they came and wheeled her away. She held my hand and wishpered she was afraid. Our hands separated as I stood and watched her go. She looked back over the pillow and we both whispered "I Love you."

The procedure was to take about 1 hour to 1 hour and a half. My step son, his wife and myself sat and watched the progression board. The clock was approaching two hours when the doctor finally came in. Things went well he said and we should be able to see her in about twenty minutes as she comes out of anesthesia. We sat. 1 hour, 2 hours, three hours came and went. We weren't getting updates. So we went up to find her. 
There were complications in post op. She was hemorrhaging. More time went by. I was numb. Eventually things stabilized and we got to go back to see her. She laid still.
When she woke she couldn't speak and was in pain. A result of the bleeding. When she realized words didn't come out but you could see in her eyes she was clear thinking. She understood what people around were saying. They wern't sure if it would be permanent but hoped it would improve as she healed. She remained was in the IC Unit until Friday when she was transferred to a Rehabilitation Hospital Center. She is improving slowly and is expected to be there for two to three weeks as she regains her motor skills and speech. Today she was able to put a few words together and make sentances. She laughed and smiled and cried.

We expect pathology back in a few days. Until then all that is known is there were two slow growing tumors. The biopsy only took one. The other was around many blood vessels. There are going to be more treatments. I afraid some are going to be very difficult as well.

We have two children at home Victor 17 and Elisabeth turning 14 this Sunday. Recovery in the best case scenario is for me to be with her and the children. They also are hurting. My time has been completely taken to care for my wife's needs and handling family and friends questions. They're afraid and alone. I comfort them as much as I can and include them in errands for mom and take them to visit. That has been the  best therapy for Jacki yet. I'm honest and gentle with them. I remain positive. My son is depressed and my daughter is staying busy and hopeful.

 Jacki and I need your help so I can manage to be part of therapy with Jacki and help the kids manage school and daily life. When Jacki does come home I want to be there to be her caregiver as she heals and we start the process of other mediacl procedures. I have one pay check left then I'll wait for FMLA to start. Even with that we'll only have enough for a couple of weeks. Recovery will be much longer. I don't know how much unpaid bills will be.

 If you can help please do and thank you. If you are unable please share our story to others who can. Most of all pray to GOD and ask him to bless Jacki with a miracle and comfort her and our children. I will carry any burden I have to so they don't.

God bless everyone. I have become such a humble man.
Thank you.

Jacki with her best friend and husband.

Jacki with son Victor and daughter Elisabeth

From left to right, Jacki, Leslie, Josh ( her oldest) and Victor.

Victor and Elisabeth Christmas time 2013.
  • Jessica Behner 
    • $45 
    • 58 mos
  • Karen Anthony 
    • $25 
    • 66 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 75 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 87 mos
  • Sandra Smith 
    • $50 
    • 87 mos
See all


Victor Plitt 
Camp Hill, PA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more