Dale F. Edwards, Jr. Cancer Fund

     First, the picture is my two children. I started this page because my medical bills are getting out of control, with insurance denying treatment or wanting more co-pays every time I turn around. The amount I set on this page is actually undetermined because I have no idea what everything is going to cost. My story begins with having an inguinal hernia repaired on Monday, April 2nd, 2012. Six weeks later I was told it healed and everything would be ok. I also had an Umbilical hernia that I was going to have fixed when the weather got colder. After continuing to get pains in and around my abdomen I switched surgeons thinking the first surgeon had messed up my hernia repair. Upon seeing a 2nd surgeon he had asked me to get a colonoscopy before getting the umbilical hernia repaired and scheduled my umbilical hernia surgery for Thursday, September 20th, 2012 at which time he was going to check the other surgeons repair.

     Luckily I was able to get a colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday, September 18th prior to the surgery. Little did I know at the time when I woke up from the colonoscopy it did not go so well and a mass was found which was biopsied. My surgery was postponed until the results of the biopsy. On Wednesday, September 19th I was called and informed that it did contain cancer.

     On Friday, November 9th I met with the oncologist and discussed options and was told I would need 6 months of bi-weekly chemotherapy. First problem was my medical insurance (Limited Benefits) does not cover external medical equipment. But I filled out an application to get the chemo pump through a company called Chartwell and was approved after providing my tax return. Next I will need a port implanted by my clavicle (collar bone) to be able to take the chemo injections from the pump, which will be done as an outpatient surgery the day after Thanksgiving on November 23rd (now changing)

     I am to start my first chemo treatment on Monday, November 26th (now changing). Supposedly it is 2 hours in the office getting my treatment then I am sent home with the pump which will be carried in a fanny pack or bag for the next 46 hours and will give me continuous treatment. Then I need to have the pump disconnected. The next week I don't get treatment, just blood work. I have already accumulated a couple hundred dollars in co-pays and uncovered charges and have now exhausted all of my Paid Time Off and savings. I am current on my bills (non-medical) at least for the next couple days until I start to fall behind.

     I do not know the effects this chemo will have on me and haven't even been clear of my partial colectomy surgery six weeks yet. I am wanting to return to work a.s.a.p. but need to get this taken care of. I have two children (a son aged 4 "“ will turn 5 on December 16th and a daughter 11 who will turn twelve on December 23rd). I am worried about them being able to have a Christmas with me not working but am getting very stressed over the lack of funds to be able to pay for taking care of them, paying medical bills and providing for Christmas.

     Unfortunately I have applied to Social Security over a year ago (due to 2 Hernias, Cervical and Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, anxiety and being depressed) and am waiting on appeals. I am not looking for a handout but rather a hand up. I am the type of person that does not like to ask anyone for anything. I have no problem working but am getting sicker by the day with more pain and less mobility which I don't know if it is caused by the cancer or if it is the cancer and the stenosis. I am also stressing over the possibility of losing my job at the same time to make matters worse.

     On Wednesday, November 14th I went and had a PET Scan and CT Scan done to see where the cancer has spread to they scanned from the middle of my head all the way down to my knees.

     Today Thursday, November 15th I found out I have a nickle size tumor in my right lung that was picked up on the PET/CT Scan. Now I have to see a pneumo-thoracic surgeon to have the tumor removed from my lung. My chemo will be pushed off until I have that done. The Oncologist stated he will get a hold of the pneumo-thoracic surgeon tomorrow to get me scheduled and most likely I will be having inpatient surgery before Thanksgiving.  Hopefully they can insert the port into my shoulder/clavicle at the same time. 

     I still have to make my current months medical insurance premium payment or possibly wind up being charged for the PET/CT Scan along with other charges that might be partially covered.I also have other things I need to take care of like my car payment, car insurance, food and clothes for my kids.

     I think every day of just giving up and not getting the treatment but then I keep thinking of my children.



My deepest and most sincere thanks to all those that can help and God bless you


Dale F. Edwards, Jr.


If you feel uncomfortable donating over the web please feel free to call or text me, Dale @[phone redacted] For an address to mail the donation to or for PayPal options.

You are now able to go to the www.gofundme.com site and just search for my name.

If you would prefer to mail a donation please mail to my sister - Dale F. Edwards, Jr. c/o Jennifer Cortazzo, 143 Long Drive, Irwin, PA  15642 but make checks payable to Dale F. Edwards, Jr.

 GoFundMe Guarantee

Only donations on our platform are protected by the GoFundMe Guarantee.

  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 67 mos
  • Gary Shaffer 
    • $250 
    • 79 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 79 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 79 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 85 mos
See all


Dale Francis Edwards Jr 
Wilmerding, PA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more