What exactly will I be doing there?
1. Visiting the Hogar Rafael Ayau orphanage/monastary my younger sisters were adopted from to help run a two week youth camp and do grounds work at their new location.
2. Working one-on-one with my host sister who has learning and health challenges to help her get on grade level (and developing tools to train others to work with others in similar situations).
3. Researching strategies for improving educational quality in rural villages with limited resources (with a team of Guatemalan advisors).
4. Continuing to work on promoting secondary educational opportunities for youth in the rural village of Chwitzurib'al.
5. Connecting with NGO and non-profits doing similar or related work across the country to collaborate and learn from each other.
How am I contributing financially to this trip?
1. Selling anything of substantial value that I own but do not need (ie. car, bed, electronics, etc).
2. Saving money (I work full time but school, gas, food, and car repairs take a lot of cash)
3. I'm applying for paid work in the region where I'll be living to support myself, though paid jobs for foreigners are somewhat hard to get. Though this is tricky as it will detract time from other work, but make the trip less expensive.
4. I'll will likely teaching private English classes on the side to help support myself.
Why should you support me?
I'm taking a leap of faith to dedicate the next year to work full time on a huge problem in the world: lack of access to quality education for the rural poor. Over the past four years, I have been working from a distance to research, think, and act on this issue (and also locally on similar issues here in the US ). However, I believe that with my being physically present in Guatemala the collaborative projects that I have been working on will be able to expand to have an exponentially larger impact.
How else can you support me?
Prayers, hugs, and sharing this fundraising page (in that order).
Donating frequent flier miles for my trip home for Christmas.
Thank you so much for prayerfully and thoughtfully considering supporting me on this trip of a lifetime!
DonationsSee top donations
- Tiara Atkins
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more