As many of you know, my full-time employer recently sold all of its Community Benefit District contracts. As a Community Ambassador, I was employed with them for 5 years, where I had an instrumental role in helping to keep the Civic Center fairly safe, and relatively clean.
As many of you know, that's a tall order. One facet of this position was helping the homeless with any resources they may need. Over those 5 years, I can count on one hand, the number of folks who really wanted my help, and got help.
Now, I am in danger of becoming one of those statistics.
After being chased and punched in the face a few times by the people I had sought to help, I decided 5 years was enough. I wanted time to work on my own business, and to find other work, as well. So, when the company sold the contract, I immediately went to the Labor Commission to see what options I had. They told me that I could file for unemployment because, effectively I was being laid off. The company that bought the contract, took on the employees as if they were brand new. All medical and dental benefits were suspended for 90 days; medications in limbo. They could also decide to terminate you for any reason during the 90 day probationary period.
As someone who was already burned out, after 5 years, you can imagine how appealing this was to me, so I opted out.
Under the advice of the Labor Commission, I filed for unemployment. Everything was fine--until a week ago--when I noticed a delay in my Unemployment Insurance payments. And rent is due.
Originally I thought my employer was disputing the UI. Turns out it is the Employment Development Department, itself. I had my phone interview with them yesterday. They are saying that I was offered a position with a new company, and I refused work.
Now, I have to wait "10 days for a decision". I don't have 10 days to wait for a decision. I don't have 10 days to wait for a rejection. I don't have 10 days to resolve an appeal.
Today is August 5. The deadline for rent is today. Tomorrow a $150 late fee will apply. The following day, I will likely get a 3-Day Notice on my door, informing me that I have 3 days, to Pay or Quit. Then, eviction proceedings will begin.
Knowing my resources was my job, so you might think I can handle this. I certainly did.
Here's the catch: I can't access any of those resources (RADCO; St. Anthony's, etc.) without a letter stating that my Unemployment Claim has been rejected. Currently it's under consideration. No decision has been made.
I don't like asking anyone for money, and I wouldn't do it unless I was in a bad situation. This certainly feels like a bad situation, so I'm asking for your help.
Will you help me?
- Eli Soto
- Darick Ishihara
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more