Hi everyone, I am fundraising for my next door neighbors, Kimberly and Darrel Dougan and their three daughters. On November 19 their rental home was severely damaged by an electrical fire as another neighbor had someone cutting down damaged tree limbs from the recent ice storm, and in doing so pulled a large limb down causing it to pull the electric cable to the Dougan's home and pull it out of the wall and cause a fire. This in turn literally "lit up" all the wiring under and through their home. Smoke immediately filled the house, they were evacuated, and about 2 1/2 hours later OG&E came (thanks to one of the firefighters who called a friend for a favor), disconnected the power to their home, just in time as the bedroom closet caught fire and they were told to "get what you need out of the house now". Words you just don't want to hear. They did just that and we all watched outside as smoke poured out and the MWC Fire Department did their meticulous work at stopping it from spreading.
You can't help but be so thankful for the blessings that everyone and pets are safe, and that the home did not go up in flames. However, this wonderful family is now displaced and homeless for up to 1-2 months while the house is being completely rewired as well as attempting to remove the smoke damaged items and clothing from their home.
This family is near and dear to my heart and if I had room at my home I would take them in. Darrel has been my "go to" for 10+ years when I need any help! He mows my yard every week and doesn't want to accept payment, he has fixed more things in my home than I can count, hauled things from Home Depot, lit pilot lights, and he and his girls have taken care of my Gabby many many times like she was their own. In fact, when this incident happened on Thursday, Darrel called me to see if he could get into my house to bring Gabby inside so she wouldn't be injured by the "hot" fence between our homes! THAT is the kind of family the Dougan's are. They are my family and they need help.
They need to find temporary housing until their home is rewired and inspection approval before they can come home. This will mean no place to have their expected first Thanksgiving all together in about 6-7 years because Kimberly worked every Thanksgiving and Black Friday at JCPenney. Well she lost her job this year as they closed her store after Covid hit so she was looking forward to cooking Thanksgiving meal for her family.
That's just the kind of year they have had. Let alone that Kimberly has battled Covid, Darrel has fallen from ladders at his job, injured his back, and still will come through to paint my mom's bathroom, paint my deck, and cut down his own trees "in his spare time".
They are wonderful people and they deserve a break and more than that, they need our help.
I thank you in advance for reading their story and hopefully finding it in your heart to help them be able to afford a hotel, a VRBO, or something to house them for the next few months. Anything is very much appreciated!!!