My family and I bought a new house this summer and it was our dream home. Winter is approaching, we wanted to make sure the fireplace was going to work. Brand new unit, remote was still in the bag and the decorative rocks still bagged up as well. My father drove into town to help me make sure it was connected up correctly. We went to light it and erueka it worked! However, after about 10 minutes of it running all of a sudden it exploded and shot a fire ball out of the wall and the fire sucked back into the wall through the fire place. Apparently there was a gas leak behind the brick wall that no one knew about. Called 911 and then my wife, was able to get all the animals out before the smoke got too bad. As everyone was arriving there was more and more smoke coming from the garage and attic. The spray foam insulation had caught fire in the attic and was making a very large smoke show. Luckily the first responders were able to put it out without using too much water so it didn't flood our ceilings. As well, the fire department had to tear up our fire place to make sure there wasn't any fire still burning behind it. Everything smells like smoke. Burnt electrical wires and outlets and wood beams. Lucky to be safe and okay, but now having to come up with large amounts of money that we don't have since I'm a 100% disabled veteran and can't work. Trying to get some help to cover our insurance deductible, repairs and lawyer fees (since this is going to be a builders liability suit) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Luckily my wife and 4 year old daughter were on their way home from work and school and everyone is safe and have a clear bill of health from the EMS. Thank you.
Update so as of 11/9/18 we are looking at a minimum of $25,000 in damages but will likely be a lot more. we will find out when we pull the fireplace insert out and can see how bad it is back there. I do have paypal if you do not feel comfortable with gofundme. my paypal is (email@example.com) send it friends and family. Thank you everyone so much.