Oliver's Medical Expenses

Oliver, our family's four year old Standard Poodle passed away unexpectedly after he ingested a foreign object. Just thirteen days after his 4th birthday he decided to get into some mischief at home. Oliver went everywhere with our family but because of the unusually warm weather this fall he had to stay home more often.

He told us he wasn't feeling well, so on a Friday morning we took him to his regular veterinarian where he spent the day receiving IV fluids. After taking some x-rays they could see something that wasn't right in his intestinal tract. We were referred to a 24 hour emergency vet service (S.A.V.E.S), where more x-rays were obtained and it was discovered he had a linear foreign object that needed to be surgically removed. He had surgery that evening and 4ft of a cloth like object was removed. Oliver did well and came home a couple days later. Within a few hours he started vomiting, was lethargic, and giving us his sad brown eyes, telling us he didn't feel good. We went back to S.A.V.E.S where it was then discovered that his belly was septic, due to a tear in his intestines.

We were referred to Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital, our fur baby was in critical condition. The criticalist spoke with the Veterinarian at S.A.V.E.S and Oliver was given medications to help him survive the trip. We arrived with him at Port City, he was critically ill, the fabulous team were able to stabilize him enough to perform surgery to repair the tear in his intestine. He survived the surgery and was placed in the clinics ICU ward. We were told he was their most critical patient and it would be 24-48 hours before he was out of the woods.

The following afternoon my mom, myself, and my 14 year old son drove to Portsmouth to visit our baby. His heart rate was still high, he was receiving an albumin transfusion, plasma, and various other medications, but he had somewhat stabilized. He wagged his tail for my son and let us know that he knew we were there. We kissed him, told him we loved him, and prayed for his recovery. Three hours later he just couldn't fight anymore, his heart just stopped. CPR was performed for an extended period of time without success.

We are beyond devastated. There is a hole in our hearts, a feeling of emptiness and sadness that words cannot express. I am a single mother with two children, I simply cannot afford the expense, but had to do everything possible to save him. He was like a child, a family member, not just a dog. My mom who is retired and lives with me and my children put the expenses on her credit card, but we just don't know how we are going to pay for them. We are not a family that asks for help, but we just don't know what else to do. Any help would be profoundly appreciated and go directly towards the expenses that accumulated in the efforts to save our beloved fur baby Oliver. He will forever be in our hearts and touched our lives in his four short years with us.

Thank you,

Sandi, Carolyn, Nathan and Jacob
  • Shelly Melendy 
    • $40 
    • 46 mos
  • Caroline Hobbs 
    • $20 
    • 46 mos
  • Robyn Hadlock 
    • $50 
    • 46 mos
  • Laura Hutchins 
    • $100 
    • 46 mos
  • Kimberley Dyer 
    • $50 
    • 46 mos
See all

Organizer

Carolyn White 
Organizer
Lebanon, NH
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more