Hujambo! (Hello!). Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read our story.
Our names are Alex Cockerham and Matthew Harney, we are second-year students at Sheffield Hallam studying BSc Sport Development with Coaching. In May 2019 we will be travelling to Tanzania for seven weeks as part of our degree. It is sure to be an unbelievable experience for us, our peers and the people of Tanzania.
We are two of seven students taking part in this placement from the entire Sheffield Hallam University Sport & Physical Activity department. This is an honour to be able to represent the university in such a beneficial programme.
What will we be doing in Tanzania? Whilst in Tanzania we will be taking part in a wide range of activities. These include:
- Co-coaching with our peers delivering PE lessons to local schools. Through this we will be helping teachers of the school and show them the importance of sport and physical activity and how it can benefit their students health and well being. - Work with peer leaders to deliver workshops to local people of Arusha. This is to develop the local people in the skills they have available to be able to deliver sport within Arusha. - Planning, organisation and delivery of sports activities and events. This is to ensure we engage of types of people in a range of new sports.
And much more!
Will we be fundraising? Definitely! There are two main ways in which we will be fundraising, these are:
1. Sheffield Half Marathon - We will be taking part in the Sheffield Half Marathon on Sunday the 14th of April. A half marathon is 13.1 miles, this is a big jump from the distances we are used to (10k, 6.2 miles). We're both determined to challenge ourselves in order to be able to benefit the communities of Arusha, Tanzania as much as possible.
We will also be doing this in fancy dress! Themes that have been discussed include superheroes and princesses, make sure to keep an eye out for that!
2. Cycle to Tanzania - This may sound crazy but do not fear. As a team we have decided to host a static bike challenge to cycle the distance from Sheffield to Arusha (7,000km!). We will be hosting a 24-hour challenge within the university and both cycle ourselves as well as promoting to anyone within the university to join us.
Out of all the fundraising ideas, why these?
1. Allows us to help the people of Tanzania - As you may be aware, Tanzania is a third world country which means they are underdeveloped economically and environmentally as well as other areas. Therefore, high quality sporting opportunities may be hard to come by which means the work we will be doing in Tanzania is vital. This is to ensure we provide the people of Arusha the best possible experience of sport like we have in the UK. Sport has been a massive part of our lives and we are sure it is the same for everyone around the world if they are given the same opportunities.
2. Challenge ourselves - In choosing to do this placement some of our main aims are to challenge ourselves as well as striving to provide the most support for the people of Arusha, Tanzania. This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity and therefore we're determined to make the most of it.
3. Help cover the cost - From the support it will help us to cover the major costs included as a result of travelling to Tanzania. The total cost of the trip will be £2,500-£3,000 EACH. Therefore, any donations provided will help support us in having funding for vaccinations, living expenses, insurance and support to purchase sporting equipment.
Once again thank you for taking the time to read our story, any support is greatly appreciated!
Alex & Matt
Fundraising team: Alex & Matt's Quest to Tanzania (2)
Raised £70 from 4 donations
Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire and the Humber, United Kingdom