Hello all. As many of my nearest and dearest know, my beautiful boy is very sick. We still don't know exactly what is wrong, but figuring it out has been painful, for both Mav and my wallet.
About a month ago, my perfectly healthy 4 yo German Shepherd, Maverick, suddenly became very lethargic and weak in his back legs. He was nauseous, wouldn't eat and hadn't had a bowel movement in 2 days. I took him to Hillside on the 3rd day. His temperature was normal and he didn't express any pain during the physical examination. They treated him with anti-nausea medication, and recommended a blood test. I decided to schedule a blood test with a different vet, Dr. Deresz at Metro Paws, the next day to be more cost efficient. By this time, his back legs went completely out. Instead of blood work and a urinalysis, Dr. Deresz wanted to do x-rays bc he thought maybe there was something wrong with his spine or he maybe had a slipped disc. The x-rays came back clear. Dr. Deresz recommended for us to either see a neurologist for possible neurological disorder or tumor, or to try an anti-inflammatory and pain meds to see if that helped. We went with the meds, which quickly helped Maverick get back on his feet. He was doing so well up until day 5 on the medication. I came home from work that day and he had vomited blood all over the house, and was gasping for air. I rushed him to Hillside where they gave him oxygen and an IV with fluids. Dr. Roberts at Hillside determined that he was bleeding out somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract, probably from the prednisone that I was instructed to give him by Dr. Deresz. They wanted to keep him overnight and give a transfusion, but wanted a down payment of $3,000 up front. Living alone, and after just recently recovering from the financial burden of my car exploding, money is tight, and i did not have the money to put down. The vet put together an outpatient program that consisted of medication to coat his stomach to stop the bleeding and an antibiotic. They did blood work and ruled out poison (thank God). His RBC count was in the low teens, when it is supposed to be in the 40-50 range. Getting him to eat has been the hardest part. And he is not going to get well if he doesn't eat. I have also been giving him Prilosec, iron, and an appetite stimulant as I was advised to do so by another vet that we visited for a 2nd opinion and a follow up from the trauma the previous week. This new vet, Dr Wright at Lakewood Vet Center, weighed him at 67 lbs! He was 83 lbs at the first visit when this all began. That's 16 lbs in 3 weeks! Dr. Wright advised to mainly focus on getting as many groceries in him as possible for now, and to follow-up w him in a week. The anemia has improved, but now we're back to square one with the weak back legs, lethargy, and anorexia. He shivers often, I believe from pain. We just finished up with the medication, and are scheduled to follow-up with Dr. Wright tomorrow. I am already dreading the visit, as I'm sure there will be several more X-rays and diagnostic testings to be done. And this is before treatment. His symptoms have me believing he has some sort of an obstruction or blockage from something that he ate, or maybe his intestines are twisted. I've already spent close to $2,000, and am emotionally, physically, and financially exhausted. I'm asking for your help to save this beautiful boy. I hate to ask for money this way, but I'm running out of options and time I can't rest until I know that I have done everything that I can possibly think of to help him.
Any prayers, advice, and assistance are appreciated.