Hello Family, Friends, Mentors, & Supporters!
I have been afforded the opportunity to go on two volunteer trips overseas to do public health work in impoverished and disadvantaged communities. Both of these trips average to about $3000 each which includes my airfare, food, lodging, program costs and living expenses while in country. I am in desperate need of funds to offset some of the cost and would greatly appreciate any donation you are willing to give in support of my cause. ANY AMOUNT WILL HELP!
The first opportunity will be in Taiwan, China in May 2014. This is a field study course designed to examine how public health practices are applied on a global scale. During my stay in Taiwan I will be instructed on:
· Examining health promotion practices under a national health insurance system that provides universal insurance coverage to all people.
· Examining and critiquing the impact of culture differences on various community health practices.
· Examining factors related to disaster preparedness for earthquakes and typhoons in Taiwan.
· Identifying various alternative community health strategies that can be applied at different culture settings.
· Examining the role of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, culture affecting community health practices.
· Examining how Eastern and Western Cultures think and act differently in solving community health problems.
· Examining the use of oriental diet, Chinese medicine, and Buddhist meditation as alternative strategies to health promotion.
· Analyzing and developing community health strategies with a partner of different culture and language orientation.
The second trip would be to Haiti over the Summer of 2014 through a group called the Red Thread Promise. "The Red Thread Promise is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to bringing hope and healing to needy and orphaned children who have no one to advocate for them. Our diverse programs in China, Haiti and the USA exist to improve the quality of life for these exceptional children so they can live independently with dignity, health and, most importantly, HOPE." While in Haiti I will have the opportunity to aid in:
-Setting up a fully stocked, centrally-located hearing aid clinic in Port-au-Prince, including Haitian-trained staff, state-of-the-art evaluation equipment and a two-year supply of digital hearing aids
-Offering a full camp experience to handicapped children in Port-au-Prince through Camp Jake
-Conducting an ongoing food drive for St. Vincent's Center for Handicapped Children to feed 185+ special-needs students and staff at least two nutritious meals each day
-Financially supporting the purchase and installation of a water treatment system at St. Vincent's
-Sending medical personnel to work at clinics in Port-au-Prince
-Connecting adoptive parents with children in need of permanent, loving home
The deposits to secure my place on these trips are due very soon. So once again, any donation you are willing to give will aid me greatly in achieving my goal. Please consider supporting my cause to help bring about global social change through the eyes of public health. Also feel free to share my letter and donation link to others in your network who you feel would want to support my cause. Together we can change the World!
DonationsSee top donations
- Vaniety Reid
- Chantrice Banks
- Tracie Martin
- Emilie Hosler
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more