Indy's Vet Bills

If you know me, you know how impossible this is. I hate asking for help and rarely do... But this isn't about me right now. It's about my best friend who has 4 long, legs for days, a needle nose and can sleep all day, eat whatever he wants and never gain a pound... He's my 28 MPH couch potato and I love him with my whole heart. My greyhound, Indy. 

Here's the backstory:

He got a routine dental this past Tuesday. Except for some elevated kidney values, his blood work looked exceptional. Really healthy for 10.5. Fast forward to Friday and everything changed. He was lethargic, which is saying something for a dog who sleeps 22 hours a day, vomiting and not eating, and that is the most out of character for him.

We had a massive snow storm so my vet was closed but I'm blessed with an amazing vet clinic and they saw me anyway.

Biggest concern right off the bat was dehydration. But that became much less of a concern once we got the blood test results back... There was something SERIOUSLY wrong with his liver. The immediate thought was toxin. But after a lot of brain wracking and checking everywhere he had been... Nothing. There was nothing obvious (or not) that he could have gotten into.  It was decided that he needed some aggressive support overnight. IV fluids, antibiotics and liver medications. 

For the first time ever, I had to leave Indy behind. 

He seemed to improve, clinically, overnight. He ate for Dr. Tess and would prance around outside... However the blood work from this morning told a different story. 

His liver values hadn't changed. And now his gallbladder was showing signs of damage. His liver wasn't producing the normal proteins and the biggest concern is his liver produces proteins that cause the blood to clot... This means he has a high risk of spontaneously bleeding. 

As incredible as my vet is, they are not set up for this and they strongly recommended I get him to the emergency clinic. 

Here's where I'm asking for help. 

This doesn't come cheap. Overnight care, meds, monitoring and possible plasma is going to run me about $1,000-$1,600. Plus the $600 plus I've already spent at my vet for the last 24 hours.

The hope is that if we can get him over this hump, he will recover. He will get to come home. He will get several more years with me. Possible diagnosis are leptospirosis or Cholangiohepatitis... But we just don't know.

But this is a difficult financial burden... But I can't for one second stop fighting for Indy because of paper in my wallet. He wants to fight so I'm going to give him the best team I can so he can get better. 

I gave a rough guess on vet costs. Hopefully we won't come near that. Any left over funds will be donated back into the Dundee Dog Wash Memorial fund that I have given my whole heart to.

But in the mean time... I need your help. More than that, Indy needs your help. 

Anything helps. Truly. 

I can never say thank you enough for just reading this, sharing it and sending prayers. I need that as much as anything.


 See top
  • Jeanne Huyser 
    • $30 
    • 7 mos
  • Vanessa Borrero 
    • $50 
    • 7 mos
  • Valerie Snearly 
    • $50 
    • 7 mos
  • Ben Roberts 
    • $25 
    • 7 mos
  • Elyse Hutchinson 
    • $25 
    • 7 mos
See all


Jenna Bontempo 
New Castle, CO
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more