Blast Theory is a multi-diciplined mixed media interactive arts company, who produce work exploring the social and political aspects of technology since 1991. They use performance, installation, gaming, video, mobile and online technologies to question ideologies present in the information that surround us.
Their extensive website [http://www.blasttheory.co.uk/bt/
] displays the vast diversity and depth to their work. Highlights include:
"A Machine To See With" (sorry I misquoted the title in the video), an instructional mobile phone based performance where you are the protagonist in a DIY bank heist "movie".[http://www.blasttheory.co.uk/bt/work_amachinetoseewith.html]
"I'd Hide You", a game/performance online and live on the streets, where pavement runners stream HD video in a stealthy adventure of virtual tag.
"Rider Spoke", a work for cyclists combining theatre with game play, state of the art technology and intimate exchange.
I've been accepted to work with this dream company between September and November, but unfortunately i don't currently have the funds to pay for accommodation and expenses. No such luck with funding bodies, and living in the notoriously poor but sexy Berlin has kept me living hand to mouth.
I certainly don't feel poor, and in a way i'm glad and grateful to survive this long the way i have. But now this shift of context really requires a hot money cash influx. So now i really need help to be able to survive the three months in Brighton, so that i can focus full time on soaking up all the information i can working for Blast Theory. Going hands on with their production, touring, marketing, networking and possibly contributing to their creative process.
As an interdisciplinary prop maker, tech hacker, gamer, puppeteer, somatic dancer, esoteric practitioner and conceptual artist I've:
- co-created a giant 2 player kaleidoscope for The Borderlands Festival, SE
- festival animateured with workshops, lighting operation and a interactive Kinect installation at SpÃ¤stival, Kassel, DE
- co-filmed and co-edited a 20min dance/pornographic film with choreographer David Bloom, which will premier at the Berlin Porn Festival 2013
- conceived, performed, created and written about my final solo techno-shamanic performance for a Masters in Solo/Dance/Authorship degree.
- constructed two countdown clocks (using Ardunio) for my last 64h durational gaming performance installation, "Achievement Achieved", performed at Belluard Bollwerk International, CH
- refurbished a classic arcade machine to house my custom programmed Mortal Kombat style game looking at Australian sporting and video game identity at the Ian Potter Gallery and Next Wave Festival 2012, AU
- programmed in Processing and a hacked Kinects for video performance research
- designed, created and performed with aluminium arm extensions for my solo in Next Wave Festival 2010, AU
- co-created and toured a multiple award winning physical theatre duet about online dating with Emma Hawkins
- prototyped wearable video screens for Erth, and toured internationally as a dinosaur puppeteer
- co-facilitated group research into synthesising Family Constellation work, archtype channelling, and improvised dance performance
As I hope you agree, volunteering with Blast Theory is a great match with my skills and experience. And with a bit more help from you, dear reader, this potential match could become a practical reality.
Big love and many thanks in advance,
DonationsSee top donations
- Sharon Kerr
- Sage Scroope
- Vernea Sepp
- Ray and Ali
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more