Last Thursday evening, April 21st, the Campos family residence was damaged by fire. Chris, Jen, their three young children (7, 5 & 2 years old) were all at home when the fire started.
Here is what transpired last Thursday evening during the fire at their home on N. George street in Rome, NY:
When the fire broke out Jen was giving the youngest a bath and Chris yelled “fire” from the back of the house to alert the family. Thankfully the Campos family had reviewed their fire plan often together. The older two children knew where to go in case of a fire, and immediately exited the house and to meet across the street at the family’s designated “safe place.” At the same time, Jen wrapped their youngest in a towel and ran outside to meet them. Chris followed after he was unable to locate their family’s dog Leo. The fire department arrived shortly after and the firemen were able to put the fire out approximately 15 minutes later. Thankfully they were also successful in recovering Leo who was trapped by the fire in the children’s tree/play house which is in their back yard between the garage and the house.
Thankfully none of the family were physically hurt by the fire. They are also thankful that their beloved family dog and two cats are safe as well. Fortunately much of their living space was saved from fire; however, the back wall, back family room and laundry room were damaged and will need extensive repairs. There was also smoke damage inside the house as well.
As if a fire was not enough for them to endure, on Friday they found random people rummaging through what was left of their garage. Even after the damaged windows were boarded up, later Friday night they were hit with a burglary as well. The thieves took most anything of value including their jewelry, laptop, TV, Xbox and other electronics. Due to smoke damage and repairs to that need to be made they were staying in a hotel that night and were unaware this happened until Saturday morning. As you can imagine this was devastating to be violated in this way especially right after the fire.
The Campos family are currently unable to live in their home and are staying in a hotel temporarily until the damage is assessed fully and arrangements can be made to make the necessary repairs. Both Chris and Jen have selflessly served our country in the military. Chris deployed with in 2004 with the 10th Mountain Division and again in 2006.
We are asking for monetary donations to offset their costs including a large deductible. We encourage you to make any donation payments to their Gofundme account if you feel led to help. We thank you in advance for your generosity.
DonationsSee top donations
- Tera Sessler
- Susan Rymer
- Christa Cheek
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more