Natasha's Medical Assistance Fund

$8,545 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 107 people in 50 months
This is hard to write. My wife, Natasha has been… well… she’s sick. Really sick…. since April 1, 2014. As of this moment as I’m writing this, it has been 13 months and a few days of her dealing with a crippling headache, brain fog, minor memory loss, nausea, vomiting, chronic fatigue, skin sensitivities, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, poor digestive system… and that is just to name a bit of it…. virtually all of the bad stuff that you hear in those medicine commercials on TV when they’re speed reading the side effects of their medication. Except, there is no medication being taken that is causing it. Any medication prescribed by a traditional MD or Nurse Practitioner has proven to not work. At all. The laundry list of medications that they have prescribed for her, have given Tash all of the side effects and none of the proposed benefits. From staggering drowsiness to depressive and suicidal thoughts… for all of the side effects, none of the benefits accompanied the reactions.


We have been to the ER 7 times, Urgent Care twice, Neurology 6 times, an OB/GYN(and urgent surgery to removed dead and cystic ovaries), a Urologist, a Nutritional Therapist, 3 chiropractors(including a craniosacral therapist) and Primary Care countless times (and that includes switching practices multiple times… doctors and nurse practitioners) with literally no answers. They’ve poked and prodded her so many times and have given limited suggestions on what should be done to fix it. From Medications with names that belong in Star Trek to long needles jammed into the base of her skull multiple times that injected numbing and steroid shots… supplements, vitamins, food elimination, hot therapy, cold therapy, drugs, oils, medical marijuana, surgery, altitude change, organic everything…. you name it, we’ve tried it. And nothing…. nothing has even come close to working, or even taken the edge off.


She currently lives at about an 8 on a scale of 0-10, pain wise. That’s 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with flare ups to a 9 coming more often over the last few weeks. No break. No reprieve. Imagine going to lay down at night to try and sleep but mentally not being able to drown out the pain, keeping you up. Sure you may “look fine” on the outside, but the pain you are battling with internally is…….. overwhelming. All in all, it’s just a bad case all around.


Essentially we have begun the transition to Naturopathy. Our insurance covers Naturopath visits if we can be referred by our Primary Care, though it will only cover 3 visits. We have the notes from our *former* PCP that states that they will refer, but only for acupuncture. Even though a discussion about a referral to a naturopath was had and agreed upon. It was then followed by notes from the insurance company saying that “per review of the chart notes, the diagnosis is below the line and not approved”. The diagnosis being “tension headache”.


Today was Tash’s first appointment with a Naturopath, who specializes in chronic pain and illness. It actually looks like we may have a pathway to getting her well. The only downside is that it comes at a cost….. worth every penny, but a cost nonetheless, to get the all of the testing, office visits and ultimately, the treatment, to heal her body.


For full transparency, we have been paying for a lot of the previous treatments(outside of the MD realm) out of pocket/reserves but unfortunately, the reserves have exhausted. Quite frankly, as humbling as it is, we need help. I think I may be starting a series of posts about navigating through Tash’s condition, whatever that condition turns out to be both here and on my personal website… but it will give you all insight into where we’re at, and what we’ve been facing.


I have been debating setting this up for some time now. I wasn’t sure if I would go through gofundme or just set up a Paypal account, or both, or basically… whether I should do this at all in the first place. Honestly, if I could just do this on my own, I would, but I am hoping and praying that I can help my wife get the medical attention she needs sooner than later.


Last year, I had requested some friends to send out a card to her… just to show some support. Never would I have ever imagined that, 9 months later we would still be here… still without any answers. Not something we thought even possible.

If you have would like to send is a word of encouragement in lieu of a donation, that is always welcome too and can be done through www.oddzuki.com! It'll be the top post for a while. But hopefully through this campaign, not for long at all... Thanks for reading what apparently has turned into a book.


For now – K.
+ Read More
Hi all! New update. There was a MASSIVE lapse in communication between multiple departments at the hospital, specialists, etc. Long story short, they made her drink a gallon worth of this solution prior to having an endoscopy AND a colonoscopy. She was literally up all night trying to get it down being that, the whole reason she was there in the FIRST place was because she can't eat. So getting it down was a huge struggle.

The good news:
1. NO CANCER! I mean, they still did many biopsies and we get those results next week but there are no telltale signs.

2. She's home (discharged last night).

The frustrating news:

1. No feeding tube. Now, it makes sense why they didn't. Her stomach lining has eroded and is inflammed. With it eroding, the feeding tube could cause a bleed in her stomach. She's on blood thinners due her PE last summer, so that could be a very bad thing. After looking at her levels, they actually believe she's maintaining her nutrition, though not her weight, and not quite in the "danger zone" yet.

2. No PICC line to push high calorie concentrated nutrients into her blood stream. Because if even one small bit of bacteria or mold spore happened into that stream, her blood stream would turn into a petri dish essentially. Soooooo that's a no. They save that for dire situations, and we're not there yet.

So where we are at now... is they have her going off of her supplements and trying Tramadol for the stomach pain, along with having her sipping protein shakes throughout the day. Not ideal.. but we are all in agreement that getting her to OHSU is the primary goal, and that a specialist is needed. There are several theories as to what is going on, but only a specialist will be able to tell us what is ACTUALLY going on. Speaking of which...

We are having to make 3 trips up to OHSU within the next month and a half.. Cardiology, neurology and GI specialist. That is a lot of driving (9 hours round trip each time). So in an attempt to help with costs, I am reposting the GoFundMe. Every little bit helps and I personally feel we are REALLY close to closing the book on this to where she can finally get on the road to recovery. We really appreciate every one of you for following along with her story!
+ Read More
It’s been a long while since we’ve made an update to this GoFundMe. Too long.

Matter of fact, the last time I made an update was a year ago. If you look at the previous post, June of 2017 pretty much sucked out loud for Tash. All of the ER visits… the air lifting… it was a lot. In the time from last June to this June, we have seen our shares of ups and downs. Doctor switching, treatment adjustments, some promising moments and others that were completely demoralizing. But the constant was that we had avoided any ER visits. No emergencies. This was the best news…

Until June. Right now, the month of June and I have a hate hate relationship. Tash started having some breathing issues. It was incredibly hard to draw a breath and it was becoming concerning that she was having another Pulmonary Embolism. It was recommended that we visit the Urgent Care that is part of her Primary Care’s office (so all records, tests were essentially in house). It ALSO just so happens that the Dr that essentially saved Tash’s life LAST June… was now working at this very Urgent Care. Talk about fortuitous connections. The wait was pretty long so Tash had me drop her off while she waited. She finally went back to a room and they were doing blood work, XRays, etc… The nurse left the room briefly and Tash started feeling pretty bad. She got up from the exam table/bed and staggered to the door to alert the nurse. The nurse was on the phone in the hallway, asked Tash if she was ok. At this point, Tash couldn’t answer and blacked out. She proceeded to do a trust fall… without anyone there to catch her. She hit her head on the floor and next thing I know I’m getting a call on from her cell phone from the Dr explaining she’s headed to the ER. We ALMOST made it a full year.

She was admitted for a night to be monitored but ultimately they released her (but also wanted her to wear a heart monitor) after a battery of tests (EKG, MRI, Xrays, etc). It appears she still has a clot and there are a few other things.

This brings me to where we’re at now. It has been recommended that we seek tests and treatment at OHSU in Portland. Which is 4 hours away. It took some doing on my part to push a little to get her appointment sooner than OCTOBER but I managed to get them to give us a July 23/24 double appointment for Pulmonology. SCORE! This is deemed pretty critical by her Primary care and other physicians on her medical team. We have this one and later in August, a Cardiology appointment (with hopefully Neurology to follow shortly thereafter). Except that being that it is an overnight stay, we need to bring the kiddos with us. That’s where the latest “dilemma” steps in.

Either hotels in Portland are really ridiculously priced (Anywhere between $450 - $1000 for the whole family) or there is an event happening in the area! One way or another I'm getting this done. It's too important of an appointment for us to have to miss it. That being said, any help that anyone can assist with towards the stay while she goes in for Pulmonology at OHSU, it would be appreciated more than you know! (or if you want to go direct, let me know in a PM).
+ Read More
It's been a bit since we've updated but for most of the people that follow our updates on Facebook & Twitter, you may have seen the attached video. Now while it's a bit long in the tooth, it gives a full rundown of everything that Tash has been battling over the last little bit. ER trips (2 requiring a Helicopter Airlift), new meds, pneumonia and more are all referenced and explained in this video. Life has been a bit hectic lately but hopefully we'll be making more updates. We have a lot on the horizon that we will need to tackle but wanted to get this shared sooner than later! Thank you all SO much for your support. We appreciate all of you!
This was from a Facebook Live on 7/2/17
+ Read More
Hey all,
We wanted to let all of you know that we have a large update on the way in regards to the new trajectory that Tash is about to embark on. The short of it really is that after some blood work came back showing elevated levels of ACTH that should not be there, and then low cortisol levels with a curve during her last test, the reality of a rare endocrine disorder is now in our path. Her Naturopath is steering us off of the Lyme path and onto the Cyclic Cushing’s Disease path(We highly recommend checking out: https://csrf.net/ for more information). This is a very rare and complicated disease to diagnose and treat. What this means is a full shift in thinking of how we are attacking/approaching this. Our Dr feels incredibly strongly about this, and believes Tash has had this since at least 2003. We’re going to get into the particulars on a post,or several, (possibly our final series of posts under the “Life and Lyme” site) as we compile and gather all of the data. This is a lot to process, for sure. But it also means that we are hopefully one step closer to bringing Tash’s health back so she can live a normal life. We are just finishing up an update about what's been going on up until this point. So be on the lookout for several new posts over the next couple weeks.

That being said, one of the treatments they are wanting to start her on immediately (that’s how strongly they feel about this new path) is Hyperbaric oxygen treatments. 3 times a week for 2 months. Each session takes about an hour. Each session is also $100 per visit. Which means we will need to come up with $2,400 within two months to continue her treatment. All they’re waiting on is for us to pull the trigger. So we are going into fundraising mode. The importance of these treatments can’t be stressed enough as they are essential to helping Tash with the healing process so any and all help is more than appreciated! We will have a much more comprehensive post with more details coming soon for those interested. Thank you all again for following along with our story!
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.

$8,545 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 107 people in 50 months
Created May 5, 2015
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
MS
$100
Maureen Schaber
7 months ago
$100
Anonymous
7 months ago
MP
$50
Marge Piper
7 months ago

This donation is from God. Helping others.❤️

$50
ike McCreery
7 months ago

Natasha and her health is important to me.

NC
$50
Noemi Cruz
8 months ago

I love you guys and pray for tash to get well. Always in my prayers

SB
$25
Sharon Berg
8 months ago
DR
$50
Daryl Rolle
8 months ago
$25
Michelle Bross
8 months ago
JS
$100
Jenn Senastion
8 months ago
MR
$100
Marybeth Rudzinski
8 months ago
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.