Adjust the formatting and add final touches
A final polish is crucial when writing a press release. Ask a friend who’s a strong writer or editor to proofread your work. Make sure your document looks and reads well, has all the necessary information, and includes contact details.
- Use the AP style guide when writing.
- Use a clear, readable typeface such as Times or Helvetica.
- Write a headline that catches the reader’s attention and accurately summarizes your story. Look carefully at your first two sentences—are they clear and informative? Can you sum them up in one concise and catchy headline?
- At the top of the page, include the words “FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE,” unless you do not want to make the information immediately public. In that case, use “HOLD FOR RELEASE UNTIL [date].”
- Include contact information in the upper right-hand corner. Include a name, title, company, or organization name (if applicable), and an address and phone number.
- Spell check. Read it out loud. Get feedback from friends. Refine as needed.