Fighting Leukemia: Help for Leon
UPDATE: As of 3/12/2015, My uncle has lost his battle to Leukemia. We will have a funeral for him next week. The campaign has now changed to helping the surviving family with some funds to get them settled.
- The campaign will now help cover funeral costs (which has estimated to be over $10,000). He will be buried along with his sister and father.
- Anything left over that would be put toward helping his surviving family go towards a new home.
- We sincerely thank The Moffitt Cancer Center for providing the best care for Leon. They did as much as they could up until his final days. We'll never forget it.
Leon was diagnosed with cancer shortly in October 2014. After visits to the hospital it was announced that he had Leukemia. This was devastating for the family because we had already lost his sister (my mother) to Lymphoma. And these cancers are linked to a genetic strain which makes it very high risk to end up with some form of cancer.
We also lost our grandfather within the same year (June 2014), so it's been very hard for the whole family. He lost his business, and then the family eventually lost their home.
We've been trying to be strong this whole time, despite the heartbreaking circumstances.
We plan on burying him alongside my mother and grandfather.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and donating to us. We're very grateful.
He will truly be missed.
The Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa was treating my uncle really well before he passed way. We really appreciate all that they have done for us.
My uncle died shortly after I came to Tampa. I don't know if he was waiting for me or not...But I was happy to see him.
Now, I'll be dedicating this page to help his family. Unfortunately, I cannot change the campaign date, so I really don't know how much time I have left or if it's ended but apparently you can still make donations. Here's what's the short version is:
- They lost their home.
- He is survived by his wife and 2 daughters. One just turned a year old, and his oldest daughter will just be 12 in a few days.
- I am waiting for a check to put money towards this campaign...
- If people share and realize how serious this is...I really hope they donate.
I'm happy he's doing well, but... I'm pretty bummed for 2 specific reasons.
1. I'm kinda reminded of the situation with my own mother (despite that, I don't want the same fate for him).
2. I haven't really gotten close to the goal that I wanted to help them. But they are a strong family and I'm sure that they'll pull through eventually. They've been trying very hard despite a lot of setbacks.
So, I don't have too much time on this goal, and I'm emotionally exhausted. I think that perhaps a few days before the goal ends, I may pull the plug and return the money to people who have donated.
Granted, I'm not grateful, it's just really heavy anxiety and the thought of failure of not getting there does get to me. Maybe it's because I didn't have anything to show for it, and I don't blame people who might hesitate. Or people don't like these things...Whatever the reason, it's just not working out.