Carwyn's Fund

£44,953 of £100,000 goal

Raised by 583 people in 33 months
Healthcare, Rehabilitation and Repatriation

My name is Aled Edwards and I am trying to raise money for my brother, Carwyn Edwards, who is seriously ill in Banner UMC Hospital in Tucson, Arizona. Carwyn has lived and worked in the United States for the past 13 years, but fell seriously ill on Wednesday, January 27th, 2016.

He is suffering from Infective Endocarditis, which is a bacterial infection in the blood that settled on his mitral heart valve. This growth grew to about 2cm, and then started showering blood clots throughout his body. This has led to him having his left leg amputated above the knee and he will also lose part of his lower right leg. The clots have also seriously damaged his kidneys and spleen and he is presently on constant dialysis. The clots found their way into his brain causing lesions and hemorrhaging. This brain injury is delaying the open heart surgery that he needs to replace his heart valve.

However, Carwyn has regained consciousness in the last couple of days and today spoke for the first time in two weeks. He is breathing independently and is able to sustain his blood pressure. Hopefully this will give his brain time to heal in the next couple of weeks, thus allowing the surgeons at Banner Hospital to operate on his heart.

Carwyn has his own medical insurance that covers 85% of his medical expenses, but he will be responsible for the other 15%. Carwyn will need money for his rehabilitation and to pay for his return to the United Kingdom. It will be a long time before he can work and sustain himself; therefore, he will need a lot of support.

My father, Meirion, my brother, Ieuan, and I are in the United States at this moment giving him our support and encouragement and will be eternally grateful for any support given. All of us over here in the United States and our family back home in the United Kingdom would like to thank you for any help you can give Carwyn.

Thank you.
+ Read More
Mae Carwyn rwan yn byw yn annibynol yng Nghaergybi.Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb yn adran dai Ynys Mon am eu cymorth ,yn enwedig Alwena a Llinos.
Carwyn is now living indepenantly in Holyhead,I would like to thank everbody Ynys Mon housing department for their help ,especially Alwena and Llinos.Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi gyd.
+ Read More
Carwyn has now received keys to a property in Holyhead and will be living there independantly very soon now.I would like to thank everyone involved at the housing department in Llangefni for all their hard work and effort in this matter.
+ Read More
Last Friday had his first consultation at the prosthesis centre at Clatterbridge Hospital.They are willing to proceed with the treatment if they can secure funding from NHS Wales.
+ Read More
Carwyn in training at the Ray Williams gym in Holyhead.
Carwyn pumping iron
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

£44,953 of £100,000 goal

Raised by 583 people in 33 months
Created February 18, 2016
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
CJ
£30
Casey Jones
18 months ago

Stay strong, mate!

HW
£20
Harry C Williams
19 months ago (Offline Donation)

Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti Harry.

or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a £5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.