Maya had her appointment with the Neurologist yesterday in Grand Rapids. She had all sorts of reflex tests and a very extensive physical exam. We have lots of information to digest and decide in which direction we should go and what would be best for Maya.
Most of the diagnostics are cost prohibitive. The MRI, which can only be done at MSU, will be between $1500 and $1800! We sure didn't raise that kind of money at the bake sale, LOL! That may only tell us "where" the problem lies and may not tell us why or if it can even be fixed. Lots of the tests are just to rule out causes and after all of those, and we still don't know the how or the why....we will be out of funds and still not have helped Maya at all.
Enough of the bad news and on to some goo! We have started very specific physical therapy exercises in hopes of continuing Mayas progress. They are for balance, strength and a wider range of motion. I am excited about this and encouraged in the thought that
whatever has caused Mayas paralysis can be dealt with, without invasive and risky surgical procedures. Nothing is written in stone yet and Pit Stop will continue to mull over all our options and will definitely consider what is in Mayas best interest. To begin Mayas treatment plan the BPAH requires a $3000 deposit. :( We welcome your thoughts and ideas or even your personal experiences/stories.
As soon as Maya doggy life vest is in, we will begin her water therapy as well! I'm hoping she is going to enjoy this more than me!
Thanks for supporting Maya and keeping her in your thoughts and prayers.
Peace, Love and Rescue!