Goal reached! Please, no more donations for Charlie. We are able to cover her medical costs thanks to all of you. If you are so inclined, please consider donating to your local animal rescue fund, (in this area the Northern Nevada Animal Rescue or Dog Town Rescue) or a specific organization such as LABMED.org or the ASPCA. Thank you, everyone, for your amazing generosity.
This is kind of a funny picture of Charlie, but she met my son today and was being VERY playful! She loves laying on the grass, she rolled right over on her back and was waving her arms at him trying to play. Oh, did I mention that SHE IS AT HOME right now?! Yes, she got the A-ok to go home! Such a wonderful day for Charlie and the Houston family!! She has already eaten and is snuggled in her little doggie bed for a nap . Sweet dreams Charlie.
Just saw Charlie...after being out of town for a week it was so nice to hold her again. She's limp...picking her up is like picking up a platypus I would imagine. I took her outside and she went potty. But then she was just so tired. She's got a long road ahead to strengthen those leg muscles so they hold her better. I got lots of snuggles and kisses. Sorry if the pictures are turned.
We've surpassed our goal of raising $3600 on this site - awesome! However, Charlie's medical bills continue to pile up. In measuring her donations against her bills, I projected that she could go home tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure. I have raised our goal in hopes of getting her all the care she needs to be 100% pure healthy puppy. Thanks for all your continued support and prayers. It's working!
Here are her medical costs:
DOCS bill, Friday: $307.15
AEC, Friday night-Monday morning: $1,991.41
Carson Tahoe, Monday-Wednesday night: $3,745.43
Carston Tahoe, Thursay-Friday est: $1,300.
...Total projected expenses: $7,343.99
YOU did this! YOU all believed we could raise enough money to get Charlie better. The above doesn't even include what we'll make thanks to everyone who's donating for the flea market at the Dayton dog park this Saturday. We're hopeful that Charlie will be able to go home this weekend (money-wise but also for all the other great reasons). We should know today! Thank YOU for doing this for Charlie!!!!
Do you want the good news or the good news folks?? First, I have to say that Charlie has more Facebook friends than I do!!!! She's received donations from as far away as Alaska and New York! So...here's the good news: She didn't throw up the food she ate tonight. Blood levels have been staying up. Vitals and body temp are normal. Blood glucose was really good! Much better than last night. Barium moving thru. No blockage found yet yay!!!!!!!!
The plasma helped -- Helen was greeted by Charlie this morning with kisses! Yes, she licked Helen's face - this is HUGE! Vets are recommending a full blood transfusion, and the Carson Vet Hospital has provided Dr. Larsen with what they need to do the transfusion. They also gave Helen ballarium (sp?) for the gas in her tummy. She's still weak and still in 'guarded' condition. The benefits of the blood transfusion are quicker than the benefits of the plasma, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for even more improvement today! Look at these picutres...she's sitting up and even walking!!
We just got the estimate for care for Charlie tonight. With plasma treatment and an overnight stay her cost goes up by $1200; tomorrow night's stay will be about $400. Since the next 24-48 hours are critical we're going to go ahead and keep getting her the care she needs.
from Helen: Charlie is still in guarded condition however she shows interest in things. When she got to the vet, he presented her with a bowl of water, she took look at it , got up, walk over to the bowl and started sniffing . It took a minute but she had a few sips of water , it was the first time we have seen her want for anything . Dr Larson started her back on I.V.'s and getting her settled in . Charlie's temp was a bit low but not bad, she has a heating pad in with her to keep her toasty!! Yesterday she was started on tube feeding and Dr. Larson is continuing that. For now Charlie is resting and I will update you when I have new news!!! Keep Charlie in your prayers , Thank You all for the help and love you have given Charlie .
Charlie is receiving her feeding tube this afternoon. I will stop to see her on my way to the airport in a couple of hours, and will post an update picture. The feeding tube will increase her care over the next 20 hours, so I need to increase our goal to $2000. Thanks to everyone for your continued support.
Update...this morning Animal Emergency Center called to say that Charlie had another rough night. Charlie's new momma is on her way up to see her to see if she'll perk up again like she did yesterday. Either way, they are going to put a feeding tube in her this morning so give her some nutrition. She still has diarrhea and has been vomiting since Saturday night. They don't know why. I promise to post more when I hear from Helen in a couple of hours. Keep those prayers coming! Thank you so much to everyone who has helped this poor little pup so far!!
Charlie perked up when we went to see her just now. We took her outside for some air and she walked around a little. She's still very sick and very weak. The dr at AEC said he thinks her chances of survival are around 25%. We are giving her another 24 hours here and will see what tomorrow brings. She responds well to affection and was pretty darn alert today. We're very encouraged by her progress so far. These photos were taken during our visit today.
Helen and I just now got back from taking Charlie to Reno. It's been a long, emotional day for both of us. Charlie has a tough road ahead of her but she has proven to us these last 24 hours that she's a fighter. To all that have donated so far, thank you. It was enough to cover her bill at DOCS today. In total we received $320 today (wow!). Helen is now looking at $600-$800 a day at the animal hospital. We think Charlie deserves to live but we're going to need more help with her bills. Please get the word out! if you met Charlie your heart would just melt!
This sweet girl was found at the door of the Dayton Community Center. Some very loving locals tried to feed her and Laura (last name?) took her home lastnight. A fellow Daytonite Helen Houston and I met her at Docs Vet this morning to assume financial responsibility for her care. Her temp was only 93; her heartbeat 60. Dr. tested her for parvo and it's negative, which is good news because we all decided that if it was positive she was too ill to fight it. She was too dehydrated for a regular IV so Dr. put in some kind of bone marrow IV to get fluids in her. The next few hours are critical for her and if she survives those her prognosis will improve. If you would like to help pay for Charlie's recovery, please donate here Please message me on Facebook if you have any questions. I'll post updates on miss Charlie's progress. Thanks all!
Update 3 PM Friday: Since folks are having a hard time finding Charlie's page, here's an update: we just met with the vet. Her white blood count is critically low. Prognosis remains poor to grave. Her new momma is transferring her up to the animal hospital in Reno, where they will keep Charlie overnight. They'll do more bloodwork in the morning and a decision will need to be made then, since the doggy hospital charges $500-$700 a night. Thank you so so much for your contributions so far. The DOCS clinic is amazed with Dayton's support for this little pup. We are still in need of donations for her care.
Update: 1 PM Friday: Helen Houston (Charlie's new momma) and I stopped by the vet at 11:30 to see our girl. While we were unable to see her then, we were told that she's responding we'll to IV fluids and she even sat up! Very amazing since she was so close to death a few hours before. The dr gets out of surgery soon and we will be able to talk to him about her chances.
Update: 9 AM Friday: Poor babe. She's been named Charlie. Docs are trying to get an IV in her now. Docs has been great, but they will only take payment in person and only today. Tonight they will charge my credit card. Estimate right now is $340. Anything anyone can do to help would be great. We have some leads on a home for her if she survives. After today if you want to donate to her recovery please do so at this page.
Campaign Not Ready
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account.
Our team has contacted them with the solution, it's a simple fix!
Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account.