* For more informatino on this project, please check out my blog *
After being a fashion blogger for several years and attending several seasons of New York Fashion Week, being a small town guy from Michigan, I decided to take the leap and move to New York City to pursue a career in the fashion industry and, well, here I am, on the toes of something I’d never thought I’d be doing. Opportunity presented itself to create a garment for a fashion show back in Michigan, and one thing has just sort of led to the other, and now the birthing process of an entire collection, and a clothing line, has begun. So, here I am to present you with this emerging clothing line, J.Scott, designed by me, Justin Spade. J.Scott aims, in the beginning, to be a ready-to-wear clothing line for women, which will feature everything from pants and shirts to gowns. I can share with you that for this first collection, which I am calling Uptown v. Downtown, the inspiration is taken from my experience of living in New York City for the past year, and the differences between being uptown and downtown in Manhattan. If this brand becomes a success, I plan on doing a line for men as well.
Above all else, I consider myself to be two things at this current moment, 1. a dreamer, and 2. a student of fashion. This clothing line is several years of dreaming coming together in the most amazing opportunity I have ever been afforded, and I am doing all I can to succeed. Not having previous design experience, and needing to learn sewing and sketching skills, I am still but a student of this industry which I long to be a part of. I am so thankful to have several individuals in my life who are here to offer guidance and assistance along the way, from creative consulting to sewing, which brings me to you and the reason you have been brought to this page.
Funding this project thus far has come completely out of my pocket, and, like everything else in this world (especially here in New York City), this is a mighty expensive project. So, as my solution, I have decided to ask for investors. I cannot simply ask for people to donate their hard earned money to something many people may view as frivolous, so the plan for this to be an investment for anyone that believes in myself and this project has taken shape by offering rewards and incentives for different levels of giving. In order to assure anyone willing to invest, I want to lay out what the finances would be going towards:
1. Fabric. Fabric costs can be fairly high, especially when you have to start buying yards and yards of it. Being that this is a clothing line, fabric is obviously the main focus, and thus will be of the highest priority with any funding received.
2. Sewing Machine/Sewing Classes. At this moment, I am relying on friends with design studios for both their sewing machines and their skills. I need to purchase a sewing machine so the construction of garments can happen on my time, so as not to inconvenience those who are helping on a weekly basis. I also am looking to increase my knowledge of sewing, and have found several fast paced sewing classes that would be great options to learn quickly.
3. Paying For Help. Having friends who work in fashion design is amazing, and I couldn't be happier that they are willing to help when they are able to. However, schedule conflicts are becoming an issue, and it appears that many garments may not be finished in time. I would like to be able to branch out and hire a fashion design student or two to assist in making sure these garments are constructed in a timely manner.
4. Michigan Event/New York Fashion Week. These are the two events I am currently looking at presenting at, with the Michigan event being a preview, and New York Fashion Week being the full collection. New York Fashion Week is of high concern, priority, and cost. Event space needs to be booked for an evening during Fashion Week, so I am looking to book that as soon as funds are at that point, as well as funds to pay various staff that would be there (models, security, etc.).
As you can see, there are many factors that are going into making this project a success, and I truly wouldn't be able to pull this off completely without the generosity of anyone who feels like they believe this line will be a success. In order to share the ongoing story with you, I have created a blog, which chronicles where I am currently at with everything, and will share glimpses of designs as they come to life.
While I have created preset levels of giving that include rewards, I would be thankful for anything that you would be able to give, and would also appreciate you passing this along to anyone you feel would be interested. I appreciate you just taking the time to learn about this project, and if nothing else, I invite you to stay connected through the blog or twitter to see where this brand goes.
* Rewards are offered to everyone who donates at least $10. If you donate between two reward amounts, you will receive the reward for the lower of the two amounts. Any and all donations are appreciated. Rewards will also be sent out at varying times (ie. LookBook wouldnt be sent out until October, after the collection is presented during New York Fashion Week).